URS Corporation - Right Down The Middle | Glassdoor

"Right Down The Middle"

Former Employee - Lidar/GIS Analyst in Gaithersburg, MD
Former Employee - Lidar/GIS Analyst in Gaithersburg, MD

I worked at URS Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked with great teammates and supportive middle management all of whom helped me get acquainted with project managers and find work to keep my billable hours up. Diverse projects with the opportunity to become skilled in many different areas such as GIS, Lidar, Water Resources, etc. Decent benefits other than salary. Fun team building activites along with recognition of personal events/accomplishments like weddings, births, and educational degrees through office social gatherings.

Cons

There was way too much emphasis on becoming a project manager. It seemed like half of the company was in project management or training for it. Too much emphasis on billable hours with the need for the employee to network for those amongst the numerous project managers. Although I left for another opportunity and have regretted that at times, URS seemingly holds a grudge against anyone who ever tries to re-enter the company. Sometimes good employees make a mistake by leaving and should be given another chance when the opportunity is there. It would have been nice to had the option to think about going back especially since I took pains to leave on good terms.

Advice to Management

There is no easy answer because I felt that I had a decent supervisor and upper management although somewhat disconnected was always polite. I would put less emphasis on billable hours and have more employee training during slow times which may move the staff away from some of the mindless production work that is prominent. Please allow some former talent to come back when the opportunity presents itself and do not hold grudges because it makes the company look very small. Ditch the project manager overkill. URS could be a great place to work with a few tweaks here and there along with a clearer path to promotion which may prevent it from being such a transitional place.

Other Employee Reviews for URS Corporation

"VP Program Management"

Former Employee - Vice President Business Development in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Vice President Business Development in New York, NY

I worked at URS Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good Pay, but you sell your soul.

Cons

Poor leadership, profit over people, fragmented and silos, offices don't work together and protect their P&L and interest to the disadvantage of a unified approach to pursuits. As soon as a program completes you're fired because they don't want to incur overhead. Lies to clients. Don't have bench of talent to place on projects so you sell something you don't have. Incompetent buiness line leaderhip.

Advice to Management

Your only asset is people. Reward, Recognize and Respect your assets. Stronger attention to values and integrity of decisions and relationships with clients.

"Seek employment elsewhere"

Current Employee - Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at URS Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Can't think of too many.

Cons

Pay is substantially lower than someone of my qualifications should have. Been at URS 2 years and have seen no increase in pay or even any indication one is in the near future. Constantly ignored by superiors when i send emails regarding the job or what the outlook on career is. I receive emails every day needing a favor or task to be completed but when i email them i am ignored. Management is too worried about stock price and making money that they disregard their employees

Advice to Management

I would say half of the people i work under actually deserve the job they have, maybe even less than half. Stop worrying about shareholders so much and worry about employees. An unhappy employee results in poor work performance (we work as hard as we get paid).