URS Corporation - Fine if you prefer the "status quo" | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for URS Corporation

"Fine if you prefer the "status quo""

Current Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Washington, DC
Current Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Washington, DC

I have been working at URS Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of potential opportunities, if you can get in on them or at least know about them, and a good work/life balance.

Cons

A bit too big. Poor communication from senior and middle management to field employees. Tends to be somewhat bureaucratic - like working for a 'private' government. Decent benefits, though those have gone down-hill from what they used to be. Also tends to be, or at least feels like, it is everyone for themselves.

Advice to Management

Communicate career opportunities and training benefits to field/off-site employees. Loosen up on the bureaucracy. There are lots of good, talented employees who would do well if they knew potential mobility options available to them.

Other Employee Reviews for URS Corporation

1. "Great Opportunities Depend on your geographical location and business line"

Current Employee - Engineer in Baton Rouge, LA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at URS Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Starting out this was a fantastic job - really exciting and interesting project work, travel for job assign,nets is voluntary and depends on the team you are in... My group had international projects and I was all for participating on the most interesting jobs and enjoyed the travel, but others that were not interested we're not forced if they could stay billable enough at the home office.

Cons

Your experience will depend entirely upon your business line and location. URS has an archaic business model that basis profit off of geographical profit centers and then location. As such, don't expect to work with other offices unless a special connection has been forged, and don't even expect to work with other groups inside your own office. Don't expect any training or real development unless your billable job requires it. Project managers end up being people managers. Feast and famine are based upon billability, but that's the nature of consulting.

Advice to Management

Provide your managers with training and be more proactive when it comes to retention of valued employees.

"Great place to work if you are close to retirement."

Former Contractor - Human Resources Coordinator
    Former Contractor - Human Resources Coordinator

I worked at URS Corporation as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

I would say the pros are they have tuition reimbursement available and they won't have you doing anything outside of your job description without paying you for it. I think it is a great place to work close to retirement because work in minimal. At another place you may do the job of 3 or 4 people at this one you will only do one aspect of that job.

Cons

The downside is it is very difficult to learn new things outside of your job because they won't allow you to. The company is huge with tons of opportunities but I personally don't think they prepare you for those opportunities.

Advice to Management

Try to make sure each site is actually utilizing all of the wonderful practices you have in place.