URS Corporation - URS - "The best work of your life" | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for URS Corporation

"URS - "The best work of your life""

Current Employee - Graduate Mechanical Engineer in Cleveland, OH
Current Employee - Graduate Mechanical Engineer in Cleveland, OH

Pros

URS is a large firm; it can keep you busy on a project even if your region is slow. Getting the offices to share work is another issue.. Additionally URS does win interesting projects; your resume will be full of interesting gems within a few years (if the economy is doing well).

Cons

Unfortunately URS, like any other corporation, has fat that it can trim. The recent downturn has cleaned out much of it. But they haven't substantially addressed the internal procedures. It still forces each office, or profit center, to compete with the other.

Advice to Management

If each office continues to only worry about how profitable it is, relationships will be strained between offices. I've worked at a few different URS offices and I can say that management at each office is always concerned with another office doing work for them, sending inept employs to work on a project, etc..

Other Employee Reviews for URS Corporation

1. "Environmental Scientist for URS"

Current Employee - Environmental Scientist in Dublin, OH
    Current Employee - Environmental Scientist in Dublin, OH

Pros

When diagnosed with cancer 3 years into my job at URS both management and my coworkers couldn't have been more helpful. Over 400 hours of vacation time was donated to me, a nap room was set up in a conference room, and I was aloud to wear what ever I wanted even if it was my pjs=)

Cons

Right now we don't have lot of consistant leadership with in our office. We have managers that fly in for a week and leave and we won't see them for a few months.

Advice to Management

Find good leaders and keep them. Don't have managers that manage too many offices to get anything done. A dedicated office manager at each office would be idea.

2. "Excellent place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Virginia Beach, VA

Pros

The management at URS was second to none. Great opportunities for advancement, excellent feedback from direct supervisors and upper level supervisors, and they're contracted for a wide variety of interesting projects. Benefits are on par with most corporations.

Cons

Compensation could have been better. Perhaps I was working in an area with a lower cost of living, but they should be more concerned with paying the talent a higher wage to stick around.

Advice to Management

I understand that a firm that deals primarily with contracting has to worry about its bottom line, but there was a mass exodus of extremely talented people. Do an occasional compensation study to see why you're losing people.