URS Corporation - URS is a great place to work. You make your own destiny at URS. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for URS Corporation

"URS is a great place to work. You make your own destiny at URS."

Current Employee - Engineer in Overland Park, KS
Current Employee - Engineer in Overland Park, KS

Pros

Good, talented people work for URS. URS goes after big, high profile projects that are challenging and exciting to work on.

Cons

It's a big, publicly traded corporation. You could probably get paid more working somewhere else. When the stock or the industry takes a turn, you could be unemployed real soon.

Advice to Management

Senior Management is one of URS's strengths relative to the rest of the Engineering industry. URS seems to be a well managed company, with strong ethical values, as well as a sense of the bottom line for growth and longevity.

Other Employee Reviews for URS Corporation

"Opportunity if you're willing to push for it."

Current Employee - Environmental Scientist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Environmental Scientist in New York, NY

Pros

As a large multinational, URS offers its employees the chance to work on large, high-profile projects. Also, the company has offices all around the world, and is quite flexible in allowing employees to transfer from one location to the next. URS offers same-sex (& opposite-sex) domestic partnership benefits which are, to the extent the company can make them, equal to the benefits extended to spouses.

Cons

Because the company is so large, there is a bit of bureaucracy. Also, I feel that a lot of the company ideals are given more lip service than action. It's easy to feel overlooked, & I've never seen a clear pathway to advancement. The corporate culture differs WILDLY from office to office.

Advice to Management

Stop buying up other companies & concentrate on swallowing what you've already bitten off!

"Positive performers write positive reviews, while underachievers shift blame from themselves to everybody else."

Current Employee - What Happened to "and Be Sure Not to Include Any Personally Identifiable Information", Anyways? : P in San Francisco, CA

Pros

As a worldwide corporate leader in the Environmental Services industry, the opportunities for growth are only limited really by one's own ambition and willingness to adjust to shifting corporate needs. There are folks here that love to travel and get to frequently, and those who prefer their academic positions typically in the home office location. The company is diverse, fair as much as can be expected from a large corporation, and builds on the experience and tenure of its employees, and their relationships with URS clients. The best thing has been that while there are routine skill sets that I use in completing my tasks, the assignments themselves are not routine. The clients cross the spectrum, and as such, individual opportunities at any given project site will vary enough from past experiences to still be interesting and a challenge. Also, with how busy the office tends to be, there are opportunities to explore areas of experience outside of my normal routine, and exposure to disciplines I might not otherwise explore.

I also find that there are admirable people at my office location. Oh, sure, we have our share of office politics, and redundant personnel who are too connected to ever really disappear, but the staff overall excels at teamwork and getting the job done - on time, on budget, and without cutting corners in safety or quality.

And after-hours the company is BRIMMING with "people spirit". There are groups that race for cancer, bike for cures, or row for charity. We have humanitarian efforts across the globe, and individuals receiving honors and accolades for both professional and personal achievements. I think the best one, in my opinion, was a guy in the UK/Ireland who dove from his boat to save someone who was drowning - his URS team was participating in a team rowing event at the time. At least, that's how I recall the article.

Cons

As a larger company, it is more of a challenge to be noticed as a shinier cog than the others that are running the machine that is the corporation's progress. There is also a structured rigidity in some areas - though understandably necessary, to maintain order and stability in a global giant. On the personal, local level it can be obnoxious, but it's nothing I wouldn't do in their position, to ensure that the corporation overall thrives. Keep in mind that this company employs over 60,000 people worldwide, as I recall - especially with the acquisition of the Washington Group - and is responsible to EVERYONE that their livelihoods are well preserved. I'm a little miffed that since I was hired in the middle of last year, I am not eligible for a pay increase until January of 2009 - though I -STILL- have to endure the same cost-of-living increases since November 2008 (that my colleagues are financially better off to face), but "whatever". I should have made sure I better understood that fine point when I accepted the position, rather than assume there would be a six-month "bump". If it bothered me THAT much, I'd be on the market. Looking further up the road, I still feel that URS is the best company for the my career interests, and I can "make do" until January, as it allows more time to demonstrate my value and worth to the company.

Advice to Management

Senior management presumably does not really need my advice, as they have likely either already received targeted feedback internally, or assessed my areas of concern in previous discussions with others, and weighing the benefits and risks, have already rendered a decision which is in the best interest of the URS business entity as a whole.

That said, I'd like to see the internal office skill sets more robust, with expertises in other locations able to be searched by more targeted parameters, like specific software applications, or wildlife biologist specialties. It'd also be great if the "expert" offices actually included the offices recognized as experts in those fields, or who have a history of experience within URS in handling those types of projects. Some of the "expert" offices have project managers scratching their heads, and look like some marketing person is trying to hedge interest in their location to handle projects with which direct URS experience is minimal. And yes, URS experience in handling those types of jobs should mean more than knowing how to handle it the Tetra Tech or Weston Solutions way. I'd also like to see more integration of cross-over opportunities from Washington Group. To my knowledge our office has not seen any additional work from this merger, though I'd wager the WG people are subbing out work to outside environmental firms with which they have had previous contract experiences. Sure those are time-tested subs for them, but in principle wouldn't it be better, both for internal and external public relations, if one hand of the URS body trusted the other hand more than an outside entity?

Also, I'd hope that Martin, and others reviewing this site, would recognize that only an idiot would list their -actual- home office on these reviews. It'd be tantamount to saying, "Hi, not only can I not spell (as in several of the reviews I can see already), but I am a dissatisfied Environmental Analyst who works at the Denver, CO office - catch me if you can!"

It assumes a level of idiocy that presumably is not present in URS employees. At least, I hope it is not. I'd like to think that while most of my colleagues honestly do enjoy their jobs, and the company, minor grievances aside, they are articulate, intelligent and forward-minded professionals, who recognize that the success of the company is built on the success of its individual employees. If this is not the case, then my future is being entrusted to faithless, hopeless morons, who can't even use something as simple as Firefox to spell-check their Internet communications AS they type them (though spell-checkers do NOT correct for grammatical errors). And if my colleagues are idiots, then I am a naive fool for investing my time into a career their recklessness will eventually upend in disaster.

Fortunately, I work for URS Corporation. We may not be perfect as individuals, but our system of checks and balances allows the team to present a perfect product to our clients. And that is why, ultimately, we will all continue to be successful in our careers, as URS continues to be successful in the Environmental Services arena.

I know, you think this is some upper management propaganda letter, or some marketing person's ruse.

I defer back to my previous statements: I'm assuming our people would be smarter than that.

This is simply how I feel, and why I spent as long as I did pursuing a career with URS.

That's right, I didn't get hired from my first interview; or even my second. It was my third and fourth interviews, and several years, before I had the right mix of experience and maturity to bring to the table the kind of candidate it takes to succeed at URS. Granted, I'm less than two years into that career, but I expect to have the same feedback at 20 years as I will at 10 years.

Thank you for your time and attention, I'm out of here.

I need to unwind and goof-off a little, so I can be back in the swing of things for the office tomorrow.