US Air Force - There is no truer purpose than supporting your country | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for US Air Force

"There is no truer purpose than supporting your country"

Pros

I have had the great privilege of working side by side with some of the greatest people. There are numerous opportunities to learn different careers as well as exceed any potential that I had and some that I did not realize I had in myself. Most supervisory level people only want to see you exceed and will work as hard as you do, sometimes harder, to see you attain your goals. The only ceiling for advancement, is the ceiling that you build over yourself.

Cons

I have had the best commanders and the worst commanders. When you have those commanders who believe in their people, and they out weigh the others, there is nothing that you know that you can't accomplish. Unfortunately, when you get the other commander, it will almost make you want to give up at times and wait their time out. It seems that the one rule that stands the test of time, is that the more a commander messes up, the quicker they move up.

Advice to Management

Mentorship programs are slowly beginning to establish themselves within the military. I have greater hope for the future professionals that ascend the ranks based on this change in culture. I hope that it will not be a passing phase that sees and end soon. The one other area that I think should be highly invested in all levels of leadership, down to the lowest member, is the art of facilitation. With everyone trying to develop new ideas and streamline processes, this would bring huge dividends in the long run.

Other Employee Reviews for US Air Force

1. "Great experience, enjoy the journey."

Current Employee - Customer Support Manager
    Current Employee - Customer Support Manager

Pros

Camaraderie, team environment, pay, benefits, travel, sense of pride.

Cons

work hours, deployments, working for officers that only have their best interests in mind.

Advice to Management

Rank does not equal smarts. Respect the subordinates. Officers treat the enlisted like children.

2. "Not for rockstar employees. Good for individuals that are happy with mediocre performance and advancement."

Current Employee - Contract Specialist
    Current Employee - Contract Specialist

Pros

The retirement package is excellent if you stay 20 years. The knowledge and skills gained in some career fields can enable life long development.

Cons

The knowledge and skills gained (for certain career fields) can develop members out of the Air Force. In the 6C or 64P career field of contracting this is especially true.

Advice to Management

Utilize commercial management techniques to avoid groupthink, promotion of unqualified applicants, and corruption (nepotism). Development guidelines that avoid Senior Leaders going into private positions with companies they benefitted while in the USAF.