US Army - You get what you put into your work. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for US Army

"You get what you put into your work."

Current Employee - 91D Power Generator Equipment Repairer in Fort Lee, VA
Current Employee - 91D Power Generator Equipment Repairer in Fort Lee, VA

I have been working at US Army full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Serving the people of USA is the biggest triumph I can ever accomplish. The community in the Army life is fantastic and there is always someone there to help you out if you need it.

Cons

The biggest downfall in the US Army is all of the sacrifices towards our families. Dedicated to the military takes time away from families. Starting work at 0630 and ending at 1700 takes a toll.

Advice to Management

The harder and the more that you put into your work will be your outcome to how much you get of the work that you get done. Never settle for anything because everything can always be better.

Other Employee Reviews for US Army

1. "Its a good stepping stone I can't argue that."

Current Employee - Soldier in Fort Lewis, WA
    Current Employee - Soldier in Fort Lewis, WA

I have been working at US Army full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

GI Bill education benefits, VA home loan, Work experience that looks good on a resume, and the ability to serve your country.

Cons

What most people don't realize is the Army has lowered their standards to a dangerous point. You will meet some of the most stupid people ever in the Army. Some of these idiots will actually be wearing some rank too. The Army does not promote people based on their job performance, they promote based on time in service and who you are friends with. It is a buddy buddy good ole boy system, and politics. You can not know anything about your MOS, walk into a promotion board and recite the NCO creed and answer a bunch of silly questions and get promoted.

The Armys physical fitness standards have dropped too. I was in a platoon with people that has been in for 4 years straight that could never pass a PT test or even make tape/weight. However if you are friends with the platoon sgt or leader then they would just "pencil it in" on your score card. The way they grade NCO's in the Army is a evaluation called an NCOER, well guess what ? If your buddy is evaluating you then you will be written as a perfect NCO on paper. Hahaha i knew an NCO that shot a 3 out of 40 on the range......yes a 3 out of 40 !!! I promise you I am not making this up.

Let me just say this much, its not all that bad. Out of my platoon of 27 guys, their was actually 12 that I really enjoyed working with and that inspired me to be a better soldier. So its roughly 50/50 on personel their. For every 10 horrible soldiers, you will have 10 great ones.....its just the Army will promote them all.

Advice to Management

Raise the standards back up, don't promote based on senority, instead promote based on job performance or even testing. The Airforce and Navy actually require their personel pass a test on their career fields, but the Army has not been able to keep up with the times.

2. "Possibilities"

Current Employee - E5 - Army - Sergeant in Fort Bragg, NC
    Current Employee - E5 - Army - Sergeant in Fort Bragg, NC

I have been working at US Army full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The military is a cloistered environment where most of your needs are met. Whether you are single or married the military provides more than adequate resources to take care of your family, if you are fiscally responsible. The military is a good place to reset your life, get back on track, or regroup and find your direction. The military is also a good place to build job experience, life experience, and receive training that if taken seriously can provide lifelong skills.

Cons

The military is a very political atmosphere. Very little is based on the merit system that it supposedly utilizes. The recent wars, combined with lingering old military mentalities provide a leadership characterized as archaic, bi polar, inefficient, and asinine. There are lots of redundancy, and the majority of the military experiences micromanagement at such a level as to make an individual feel like an inept child.

Advice to Management

Better retention of leader's with high acumen and creativity.