US Army - Army Life | Glassdoor

"Army Life"

Current Employee - Soldier in Augusta, GA
Current Employee - Soldier in Augusta, GA

I have been working at US Army full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Army life is not for everyone but for the most part I have enjoyed serving my country. Most of the benefits are op notch even if you don't the medical and dental are probably better than anything you will find on the civilian market. The army can best be described as a culture within a culture, we hold each other to a higher standard than we do the general public because all soldiers are taught a system of values from day one: Loyality, duty, honor, respect, selfless service, integrity, and personal courage. While not every soldier embraces these values most do, and that is what makes this a great organization with great people. World travel is a given and time off is ample.

Cons

Hours suck, Pay is not that great, Time in service does not always equate to ability

Advice to Management

Double standards from some leaders I've had was not cool. Walk the talk by mentoring and counseling your junior leaders like you expect us to do with our soldiers. Ever soldier has a leader some just don't lead.

Other Employee Reviews for US Army

1. "Great place to work for a retirement"

Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Fort Knox, KY
    Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Fort Knox, KY

I have been working at US Army full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great hours 8-5 and if you work more you get comped hour for hour
    decent pay
    good retirement

Cons

hard to get in without vet pref

Advice to Management

listen to your staff

2. "I wish I would have experienced another duty station and unit."

Current Employee - Nodal Network Systems Operator Maintainer in Fort Hood, TX
    Current Employee - Nodal Network Systems Operator Maintainer in Fort Hood, TX

I have been working at US Army full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You can not beat the benefits package especially if you have family. The available doctors may, or may not be top notch, but the insurance is great. The housing allowance is great. Dental for the family is better than most.

Cons

Year long deployments are a con to most people, especially the first one with not knowing what to expect. The deployment experience is vastly different based on MOS and duty station, so you can not predict based on job how your deployment is going to be.

Advice to Management

I know that your employee's are soldiers, but remember that they have families. At the same time, there are a lot of soldiers that just plain need their walking papers, and that whole system needs to be streamlined a little bit without risking abuse by some toxic leadership.