US Army - Use the Military for all that you can, because they will get everything from you! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for US Army

"Use the Military for all that you can, because they will get everything from you!"

Former Employee - Intelligence NCO in Fort Belvoir, VA
Former Employee - Intelligence NCO in Fort Belvoir, VA

I worked at US Army full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

lots of free training, and experience gained. Lots of networking, a lot of credibility.

Cons

lots of micromanaging, lots of power struggle, lots of time taken from your family.

Advice to Management

let people do their jobs and stop micromanaging every little thing, and get more organized!

Other Employee Reviews for US Army

1. "Company Grade Officer"

Current Employee - Officer in Fort Bragg, NC
    Current Employee - Officer in Fort Bragg, NC

I have been working at US Army full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good compensation and good benefits! Better paid than 80% of the college students that I graduated with that didn't pursue the military. Military in general has one of the best retirement packages that one can ask for.

Cons

Deployment can be tough within the family, if you are married. You will be deployed and live in austere living conditions so don't try to sham out when you get orders to deploy to Kuwait, Afghanistan, Africa, etc. Just know that there are inherent risks involved with deployment. To all that served, thank you for your service! Take care of your subordinates and make sure they get the awards and evaluations they deserve. Senior Officers primarily use the pooling system giving above average evaluations just because a person is close to promotion or because the Officer wants to stay in the Military for the full 20. I got an average evaluation with 2 people on my senior rater's profile before my transition because he or she wanted to save his or her above average rating block check when I was the only one within the same grade within the command. I was frustrated but there was no point in arguing since it was a good evaluation but frustrated since it states that someone performed better than me that wasn't even within the command. Every unit is different and is obviously based of the people you work with not the name of the unit. Never say you will be getting out of the military. If your superior knows, this will hurt you if you intend on transitioning in the next year or two or just plan on serving until your service obligation. This is just my assumption! Also, it is your job to take care of your career. Right your initial counseling/quarterly counselings and make sure you have an understanding with your superior which I failed to do. Know where you stand every quarter or bi-annually depending on your rank. Appeals don't work. Even with substantive evidence. Don't argue, just negotiate, and compromise, because you won't be successful with a written appeal especially if you state that you never been counseled. Also, you want left justified evaluation reports nothing less. They intend on changing the evaluations so let us see how that goes. Everybody looks at everything especially when you want to transition! Headhunters like to screen the evaluation reports to see if you are a better candidate. If you are a two time non-select good luck finding a job because the person interviewing you probably knows that you are a two time non-select based on your years in the military especially if you go through one of those military headhunter agencies. My recommendation would be to create a "linked in" account and ensure that you have as many endorsements as possible from your peers and your subordinates. Make sure you have good references. I don't even know if I could trust any of my superiors right now but that is all you got so make the best out of it. There has to be more accountability! Toxic leadership lurking around doesn't help.

Advice to Management

Evaluation Reports should be based on merit and more work needs to be done on the 360 feedback. It should be mandatory that a subordinate be able to provide feedback about their superiors. Also, there has to be objective parameters into rating an individual.

2. "You could do worse... but also better"

I worked at US Army full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-You can make a decent living after just a few years, on only a high school diploma
    -Job training/Security Clearance can help you get a high-paying job when you leave, if you choose your occupation wisely
    -You will learn a lot about leadership, both from positive and negative examples
    -Outstanding veterans benefits (this has nothing to do with the Army in particular but they are a big deal, especially the GI bill)

Cons

-A zero-defect culture that promotes mediocrity in all areas and drives away anyone with a shred of talent or intellect
    -There are some really inspiring leaders, but many, many more terrible ones
    -You will have very little say in how your life unfolds, or personal autonomy in general
    -You could die for something really, really silly, like a Colonel's photo op (yes, I have a story)

Advice to Management

I get that our political environment is such that you can't help but be as mediocre as you are. Still, I hope that the upcoming cuts will allow you to cut a lot of the fat and keep your more gifted soldiers.