US Army - Phenomenal, rewarding, varied career, with tremendous training opportunities | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for US Army

"Phenomenal, rewarding, varied career, with tremendous training opportunities"

Current Employee - Army Officer in Albuquerque, NM
Current Employee - Army Officer in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at US Army full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

As a full time officer in the National Guard, I've gotten training in so many areas, my resume is very varied. I've gotten training and experience in Admin, Logistics, Intelligence, Operations, Hazmat, Languages, Maintenance, Transportation, Pay and Allowances, and on and on. This is mostly typical of a full time officer career, where you get a variety of experiences, and exposure to every field imaginable. In my 18 years in the National Guard, I have had about 10 different jobs all across the state, but only one required a PCS move.

Cons

If you want to focus on one area, it's not going to happen. As a full time officer in the National Guard, you are a generalist, not an area expert. If you want to focus and become an expert in one area, you'll need to be a Technician, not an Active Guard / Reserve officer.

Advice to Management

Provide advice and management on careers, don't just be reactionary. You invest a lot of time and money and energy into your leaders, why not provide them with some measure of visibility on what you intend for their futures? And if they have no future, tell them. We're grown ups, and will move on.

Other Employee Reviews for US Army

1. "Excellent Career Choice"

Current Employee - Soldier in Fort Bragg, NC
    Current Employee - Soldier in Fort Bragg, NC

I have been working at US Army full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A top organization that is committed to training, educating and then employing. Focus is on structured teamwork and mission accomplishment.

Cons

Career long household movement can be disruptive to family life. Salary is for 24/7 responsibility and accountability.

Advice to Management

Treat subordinates fairly and justly.

2. "Great experience and benefits if you can handle the stress."

Current Employee - Satellite Communications Operator/Maintainer in Fort Campbell, KY

I have been working at US Army full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits for serving. Your family will be taken care of and you will have good job security. Good experiences and training opportunities.

Cons

The base pay is rather low, but they provide additional pay for housing and food. Stress is also a downside, if you cannot handle getting deployed to a hostile area and getting shot at, then this is not for you.