US Army - Phenomenal, rewarding, varied career, with tremendous training opportunities | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for US Army

"Phenomenal, rewarding, varied career, with tremendous training opportunities"

Current Employee - Army Officer in Albuquerque, NM
Current Employee - Army Officer in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at US Army full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

As a full time officer in the National Guard, I've gotten training in so many areas, my resume is very varied. I've gotten training and experience in Admin, Logistics, Intelligence, Operations, Hazmat, Languages, Maintenance, Transportation, Pay and Allowances, and on and on. This is mostly typical of a full time officer career, where you get a variety of experiences, and exposure to every field imaginable. In my 18 years in the National Guard, I have had about 10 different jobs all across the state, but only one required a PCS move.

Cons

If you want to focus on one area, it's not going to happen. As a full time officer in the National Guard, you are a generalist, not an area expert. If you want to focus and become an expert in one area, you'll need to be a Technician, not an Active Guard / Reserve officer.

Advice to Management

Provide advice and management on careers, don't just be reactionary. You invest a lot of time and money and energy into your leaders, why not provide them with some measure of visibility on what you intend for their futures? And if they have no future, tell them. We're grown ups, and will move on.

Other Employee Reviews for US Army

1. "good times got college paid for"

I have been working at US Army full-time

Pros

college tuition and nice good looking girls.

Cons

could die at war and then you don't have to worry about getting a job

Advice to Management

nothing to say

2. "Infantry."

Current Employee - Infantry Team Leader (E-4) in Fort Richardson, AK
    Current Employee - Infantry Team Leader (E-4) in Fort Richardson, AK

I have been working at US Army full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Salary, job security, travel, new experiences, physical and mental challenges. Great benefits while you are in. When you are exiting the military they are doing a better job at preparing you for your future than they have in the past.

Cons

Long hours, physically demanding, minimal family time. Your supervisors will over reach into your family life, your finances and persona life.