US Army - Endless opportunity | Glassdoor

"Endless opportunity"

Current Employee - E9-Sergeant Major in Fort Meade, MD
Current Employee - E9-Sergeant Major in Fort Meade, MD

I have been working at US Army full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Travel and working with high caliber team members.

Cons

Change in the culture appears to be left of center and new problems are on the horizon. I wish you well as you meet these obstacles.

Advice to Management

Always be ready and able to get your hands dirty. You will accomplish more through earning the respect of your team than being the single thinker. Together Each Achieves More (TEAM)

Other Employee Reviews for US Army

1. "Fun until the war ended and garrison mode got restarted"

Former Employee - Infantry in Fort Hood, TX
    Former Employee - Infantry in Fort Hood, TX

I worked at US Army full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

benefits are great the friends you make better

Cons

promotion system broken, it only takes one bad leader to destroy your experience

Advice to Management

consider leadership aptitude when promoting E5 not just run time and memorization of creed

2. "Some good, some bad"

Current Employee - Army Officer in Fort Leonard Wood, MO
    Current Employee - Army Officer in Fort Leonard Wood, MO

I have been working at US Army full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

You have experiences you can't receive in any other career, and there are opportunities to improve yourself professionally. As a whole, (aside from a few individuals that exist in any large organization) the military has strong values.

Cons

This is a large government bureaucracy. Unfortunately, that means it moves like a dinosaur on sleeping pills, and there are layers and layers of unnecessary jobs that are constantly being justified. The "Lean" part of Lean Six Sigma could never work to reduce waste and cost...the powers that be would just find new ways to waste time, spend money, and expand the bureaucracy. Tax payers! Open your wallets, we need a new program that has been mandated by congress (the real source of bad decisions).

Advice to Management

1st - Learn how to negotiate spending contracts (I used to work for a company that charged the government 10 times the price we charged our private sector customers...all our competitors did the same because we knew the government would pay). 2nd - Learn how to evaluate people on how well they do their job...not how much they do that doesn't pertain to their job or how many new programs they implement in order to show they "expanded their influence". 3rd - A new budget starting in October doesn't mean spending frenzy in September. 4th - Army a meritocracy?...No...seniority trumps skill and performance most of the time..."I've been a [insert title here] longer, and I deserve to be the [insert position here]." Overall, I enjoy the Army...these are just things I'd change.