US Bureau of Labor Statistics - Statisticians - best place to start your career | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for US Bureau of Labor Statistics

"Statisticians - best place to start your career"

Former Employee - Mathematical Statistician in Washington, DC
Former Employee - Mathematical Statistician in Washington, DC

I worked at US Bureau of Labor Statistics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you study stats in school, this is the premier place to start your career. Top brand name and a much better location than the Census Bureau. Opens a lot of doors in DC. I've been in the private sector and other agencies and the BLS was the most challenging job I've had. Once you do stats here, almost everywhere else is easy. The pay in the private sector doesn't get better until you get in the GS-14/manager range.

Better equipment, less politics, more collaborative and better training than the private sector. Good place to get your bearings while you figure out what you want to do longer-term. Pay is good up to GS-13.

Cons

Quickly tap out at a 12 in any agency under the 1529/1530 designation; will need to move on to other agency or other company to get 13 and above without waiting behind a queue. You can get more money through bonuses in the private sector after GS-14.

Job can become a rut, even the research-related ones. Very automated, not a lot to contribute.

Other Employee Reviews for US Bureau of Labor Statistics

"Relax working environment"

Current Employee - Mathematical Statistician in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Mathematical Statistician in Washington, DC

I have been working at US Bureau of Labor Statistics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Relax working environment
    Federal employment
    Pay is pretty good, and I don't think you can beat the benefit

Cons

Not as much challenge if you are someone full of ambition, for any company there's competition, but this place the competition is not as intense as some private company.

2. "Great people and laid back work"

Current Intern - Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Current Intern - Intern in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at US Bureau of Labor Statistics as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

If you like a job with good hours and isn't highly stressful, working for BLS is perfect. The people are easy to talk to and there aren't that many deadlines.

Cons

I would consider the work... boring. It may be a good job for someone 40+, but as a college intern, I would prefer something more exciting and challenging.