US Census Bureau - Straightforward Training, Expectations, and Leadership, Good Compensation for Temporary Assignments. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for US Census Bureau

"Straightforward Training, Expectations, and Leadership, Good Compensation for Temporary Assignments."

Former Employee - Census Crew Leader in Grand Rapids, MI
Former Employee - Census Crew Leader in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at US Census Bureau part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Independent Work, Descent Pay, Good Training, Ability to use creativity to solve problems, No nonsense approach on most issues...

Cons

Limited Opportunities to Advance, Apply Early or Stay Aware of Permanent Openings, Some people are put into leadership role on a seemingly random basis...

Other Employee Reviews for US Census Bureau

1. "Fast-paced, decisive work opportunity. Many new employees involved, which makes the environment very exciting and fresh."

Former Contractor - Team Leader in Greensboro, NC
    Former Contractor - Team Leader in Greensboro, NC

I worked at US Census Bureau as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of opportunities to improve on current strategies, which is often welcomed. Room to approach work as you see fit.

Cons

Short-lived, minimal possibility for continuing. Contains some bureaucratic barriers.

Advice to Management

Show support for those of your ranks who are promising, and are seeking full-time employment.

"Very slow paced"

Former Intern - Survey Statistician in Suitland, MD
    Former Intern - Survey Statistician in Suitland, MD

I worked at US Census Bureau as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Job security, decent pay and low expectations are the primary reasons to work at the Census. If you are a "work for the weekend type" then it's hard to go wrong here.

Cons

The low expectations can certainly lead to job dissatisfaction for the more motivated employees. I was not captivated at all by any of the projects I worked on and shared this sentiment with most of the other people on my team. Some people dealt with this problem well but it was enough for me to decide not to pursue a full-time job here.

Advice to Management

It might be a good idea if management took time to discuss objectives and expectations with interns more often. This is done regularly with full-time employees.