US Census Bureau - Field Representative | Glassdoor

"Field Representative"

Former Employee - Field Representative in Saint Louis, MO
Former Employee - Field Representative in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at US Census Bureau part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Meet interesting people, able to set own schedule

Cons

Positions are usually part time only

Advice to Management

Ought to review supervisors, as some bent the rules

Other Employee Reviews for US Census Bureau

"Census Bureau review"

Current Employee - Program Analyst in Suitland, MD
    Current Employee - Program Analyst in Suitland, MD

I have been working at US Census Bureau full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

At least traditionally, there was the ability to rotate among different areas to expand your areas of expertise. There was also support for training and excellent work/life balance.

Cons

Still excellent work/life balance but right now, government is not a happy place to work. More restrictions, less pay and benefits, less flexibility, no training available.

Advice to Management

More transparency. Not sure who gets picked for new opportunities, or how to indicate interest in those opportunities, or whether it's simply hopeless.

2. "One week of paid training to knock on hostile strangers doors and expect them to divulge their most personal information"

Former Contractor - Census Taker in El Cajon, CA
    Former Contractor - Census Taker in El Cajon, CA

I worked at US Census Bureau as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Gives you a very good look at how the census numbers gathered every 10 years are used to determine so many aspects of our communities, future funding, government monetary allocations etc. Unfortunately, census takers are generally part time people who have no idea that in one weeks time, they are expected to go into random neighborhoods that don't welcome strangers knocking at their home, their sanctuary, on the best of days, wearing a badge that might as well say I.R.S. around their necks, and holding a clipboard and a stack of government forms that in their optimism, they sure would appreciate being let in to these same homes for about 20 minutes of fact finding.

Cons

Fact...The accuracy of the information gathered every 10 years is of extreme importance. It sounds easy enough right, get a little training, maybe touch on some of the safety issues and how to handle the hard to reach citizen, mean dogs, and how to turn in your completed paperwork. Here is your badge that will identify you, your map of where you are going, and have fun out there.

The door to door approach and days of lovely housewives cheerfully answering the door when you knocked are distant memories. My experience in the modern day version of being a census taker involved being yelled at, doors slammed, told to get off their property immediately, unfamiliar neighborhoods, and being subject to the full wrath of a growing population that associates census taking with too much government doing too little for them and theirs, and every bad outcome or transaction with the government that they feel slighted from in the past came rushing out the minute they spotted my plastic coated badge hanging around my neck. The hardest part of the whole experience was seeing firsthand the way many view their government. Whether they have a legitimate reason to be upset or not doesn't really matter because the point is, they are pissed, their neighbors generally feel the same, and you are unwelcome there. Eventually they know they have to share some information with me and they do. Enough info to get by and they can be done with this for the next 10 years. The information withheld is where the travesty lies. All those important decisions being made based on data collected from a largely unwilling zip code, after zip code, and so on.

Advice to Management

I would hope that a much more advanced method is implemented by the time of the next census. The public relations effort that is put forth around the time of the census is stiff, impersonal, and sounds much like a postal rate increase would be made public. I would love to see informative, genuine, interesting P.A.'s envelope the next census. Begin them early and market it like you are talking to a friend, one that you respect, and bullet point how and why the outcome of the data collected directly effects they and their loved ones. Matketing companies are so genius these days, I am sure that a genuine, upbeat and even funny campaign would go a long way to legitimizing the outcome. I admit that I was given some neighborhoods where it was obvious that times were tough and it seems an uphill battle. It is my opinion that those areas are the ones where accurate data collection is of the utmost importance.

Hazard pay for those of us working the frontline would not have been a bad idea. Every politician, high ranking officials, and decision maker should spend one day, just one, in a strange neighborhood with a badge around their neck, knocking on residential doors with just a few questions they need answered, honestly, for the government.