US Census Bureau - Great place to work | Glassdoor

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - IT Specialist, Software Engineer Applications Development in Suitland, MD

I have been working at US Census Bureau full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Interesting work, talented co-workers, the feeling that I'm doing something important, excellent work-life balance, hard work is rewarded, innovation is encouraged, good salaries, excellent benefits, we are encouraged to partake of a myriad of ongoing continuing education, technical and career training, job security.

Cons

For someone who comes from the private sector it can be hard to get used to the fact that it takes longer to get stuff done. That said, the increase in execution time is given by the fact that there are so many checks and balances built into the system - we are working with taxpayer money, after all.

Advice to Management

Do not rely on contractors - federal employees are as talented, capable and intelligent as any contractor out there and, unlike contractors, most of us feel a true connection and loyalty to our place of work.

Other Employee Reviews for US Census Bureau

"The Census Bureau is very pushy with volunteer surveys!"

Former Employee - Field Representative in Fargo, ND
    Former Employee - Field Representative in Fargo, ND

I worked at US Census Bureau part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

You meet a lot of people in your community.

Cons

When doing voluntary surveys you are required to harass people even if they try to opt out. You are told you must continue to return and call even if there has been a death in the family or a terminal illness. The management is totally insensitive to the people that are working as well as the people being asked to participate in voluntary surveys!

Advice to Management

Be more professional. I have never met a staff with such terrible skills in human relations.

2. "Decent place to work"

Former Contractor - Enumerator in Albany, NY
    Former Contractor - Enumerator in Albany, NY

I worked at US Census Bureau as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent Pay, make your own schedule, make as much or as little money as you would like.

Cons

No room for real promotion, need to have means of transportation. Occasional gaps between work.