US Department of Defense - IT Program Manager for DoD | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for US Department of Defense

"IT Program Manager for DoD"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Alexandria, VA
Current Employee - Program Manager in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at US Department of Defense full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Working for DoD gives you an opportunity to support some very unique, interesting, and important missions and technology.

Cons

Not all DoD work is unique or interesting, though I think most of it is important. If you are a hands-on tech type, I would tend to stay away as most of that work gets contracted out and the gov't folks just do oversight and "management." It is very difficult to move up the ranks and mainatin a tech focus.

Other Employee Reviews for US Department of Defense

1. "Overall nice place to work, not much chance for advancement unless you're military or a higher power official"

Current Employee - Visual Information Specialist in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Visual Information Specialist in Washington, DC

I have been working at US Department of Defense full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, location, decent pay and amenities.

Cons

Not much chance for advancement for intellectual worker bees and too many upper officials making too much money

Advice to Management

Cut from the top, increase the salaries a bit for the tech, scientist, smart civilian workforce as they have no other means of meaningful recognition as opposed to military and upper officials. Plenty of intelligent folks around here not getting the recognition to motivate them to stay on board except benefits.

2. "Depending on the different aspects it can be either great or terrible here."

I have been working at US Department of Defense full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very flexible work times. You get more vacation that what I've seen at any other place, and then on top of that you are allowed to gain up to 3 days of credit time by working extra other times. You also still get decent benefits for now.

Cons

All the crap going on right now with the budget kills us. We have to deal with the possibility of being placed on leave without pay constantly! It's hard to move up in pay since you have to follow procedures and there are caps on different grades.

Advice to Management

Not much they can really do....