US Department of Defense - This was a great assignment, | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for US Department of Defense

"This was a great assignment,"

Former Employee - Electronics Technician in Tobyhanna, PA
Former Employee - Electronics Technician in Tobyhanna, PA

I worked at US Department of Defense full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility in assignments, but travel is required, the duties and responsibilities changed...

Cons

The long commute to the post...

Advice to Management

For a government job the chain of command worked great and anything that was needed for the job was at my disposal

Other Employee Reviews for US Department of Defense

1. "DOD behind on technology and behind on pay and benefits."

Current Employee - Computer Scientist in Fredericksburg, VA
    Current Employee - Computer Scientist in Fredericksburg, VA

I have been working at US Department of Defense full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Telework, leave and credit hours.

Cons

Leadership is top heavy, promotions are slow, bonuses are far a hard to get.

Advice to Management

Care about people more get involved with the little guy.

2. "Instructor for TRADOC"

Current Employee - Training Instructor in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Training Instructor in Richmond, VA

I have been working at US Department of Defense full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Climate controlled, clean, I love training Soldiers and Marines, not only their training needs, but about life outside the gates and what is takes to be successful.

Cons

Most of my colleagues are retired military and that's all they know, the military. After years of riding the government bus, many are lazy, selfish, and petty, not knowledgeable of how the world operates outside the gates. More than 90% have a disability check of more than 50% and there's not a thing wrong with them other than smoking, drinking, and poor eating habits.

Advice to Management

Implement programs and devise means to sniff out malingerers, like the insurance companies in the private sector. I have implemented the advanced leadership training that I have received, Myers Briggs, etc. My managers have not. They do not drill down into their organizations to see for themselves what is going on. So what happens is the good ole boy principals of being "in" or "out" in the knowledge circle is the norm, skating by on bare minimums without substantial results, and sleeping at the desk. This is a poor environment for a high performer who has to listen to his colleagues standing around for hours with a coffee cup in their hand, shooting the breeze and laughing out loud. They are robbing the customer, the taxpayer. Sounds harsh, but after working two years for the government I am planning my exit strategy as you read this note.