US Department of Justice - Education Specialist | Glassdoor

"Education Specialist"

Current Employee - Education Specialist in Coleman, FL
Current Employee - Education Specialist in Coleman, FL

I have been working at US Department of Justice full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The opportunities are wonderful if you are willing to be go where the opportunities are. Also, my agency has a twenty year retirement plan with matching contributions from the agency. The job is stable and the salary is good. The agency offers great training that will allow employees to be the most skilled and professionals in the industry. The agency offers a wonderful and culturally diverse environment.

Cons

Promotion without relocation is difficult.

Other Employee Reviews for US Department of Justice

"It's ok"

Current Employee - Section Chief in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Section Chief in Washington, DC

I have been working at US Department of Justice full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits and they care about family. People are generally nice and there is a huge budget so environment isn't as bad or worrisome as at other agencies.

Cons

Not a great deal of attention to achieving results. It's all about looking good. If you come from another agency, you are considered an outsider for a long, long time. Not a great deal of interest in changing the beauracracy to make things more efficient.

Advice to Management

Work on making the organization more efficient to save tax payers money. Not some lame action to move money around

"Overall am grateful for the experience and career."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at US Department of Justice full-time

Pros

Mobility: Working for a federal agency allows you to move to other cities throughout your career
    Great benefits: matching 401K, generous leave/vacation, long term care option, medical coverage for retirement
    Career growth: Able to move into specialties over the years for professional growth (and often higher pay grades too)
    Salary: Stable. When I started in government service the market was booming and my friends were making fun of me for being on a much lower salary scale. But in recent years since the market bottomed out, it's interesting how everyone now thinks my salary is awesome. (I've never had complaints about it at any time, in truth). So I suppose "stable" is the best way to describe the salary. And of course it's been literally stable since the 2010 pay freeze.

Cons

When Congress doesn't do their job and pass the budget...then we operate on a "continuing resolution" for up to six months and our mission suffers.
    When Congress doesn't do their job and balance the budget...then we (not them) get furloughed.
    Major bureaucracy and prevalence of individual agendas

Advice to Management

Strive harder to maintain professional integrity.