US Department of State - Senior Officer with 20+ years service | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for US Department of State

"Senior Officer with 20+ years service"

Current Employee - Senior
Current Employee - Senior

I have been working at US Department of State full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've served all over the world, war zones and luxurious environments as well. Fascinating work, immense policy influence in times and places of crisis; rarely a dull moment.

Cons

Limited influence within the US policy community; dull work in nice places ( the worst places have the most interesting work); poor work/life balance, too many moves, very hard on relationships, family, and love lives.

Advice to Management

It's taken you a couple of centuries, but you've gotten it right.

Other Employee Reviews for US Department of State

1. "Not Bad"

Former Employee - Fulbright Researcher in Mumbai (India)
    Former Employee - Fulbright Researcher in Mumbai (India)

I worked at US Department of State full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was on a Fulbright fellowship which was really sweet. I traveled to India and got to do a lot of cool stuff that I wanted to. And there was very little oversight so you could be your own boss.

Cons

Foreign countries are difficult to live in. Really think about what you want to achieve during Fulbright. Also, I don't speak much Hindi so I had trouble to communicate with co-workers. Kind of odd review of state department huh!

Advice to Management

none.

"Unparalleled job security in an ineffectual organization."

I have been working at US Department of State full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

It's almost impossible to get fired and there is still an honest-to-goodness pension plan in place. If you're looking for a long-term gig, this could be the way to go. Opportunities to interact with people from other countries and cultures. Ability to have small impact on foreign policy decisions, if only at the highest levels of the organization.

Cons

It's almost impossible to get fired and there is still an honest-to-goodness pension plan in place, so al ot of duds hang around for a long time. The percentage of people you will be forced to work with who are completely incompetent is probably much higher than in most corporate organizations who must compete to survive. The State Department susists on a culture of fear. All the ambitious folks are worried about the long memories of others and how it may affect their career trajectory.

Advice to Management

Define some core activities and focus. The ship is too large and getting larger.