US Department of State - Educational | Glassdoor

"Educational"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at US Department of State as an intern

Pros

Internship coordinators are very helpful and ensure that you get a well rounded experience in your consulate or embassy through rotating in different sections. Work is very hands on interesting--you're actually influencing foreign policy not matter how small your task may be.

Cons

Depending on which embassy or consulate you are at, housing may not be provided and you are left with having to find housing in a foreign country with obstetrical such as language barriers and so on. It challenges you in a good way but is very stressful and expensive depending on your country.

Advice to Management

Try to provide housing to interns! I understand budgets make it hard but we are providing free labor...the least you could do is find us a safe place to stay.

Other Employee Reviews for US Department of State

1. "My internship was a great experience"

Pros

I interned at FSI (Foreign Service Institute) in an area that was exactly aligned with what I was studying undergrad. I really enjoyed what I learned and the people I met.

Cons

It would have been helpful if it were paid.

"Meh"

I have been working at US Department of State (More than 8 years)

Pros

World travel, sometimes interesting issues

Cons

Stifling bureaucracy, broken promotion system, expectation of serving in Af/Pak/Iraq, a collection of massive egos. This place i great for people who really get off on being near powerful folks, but don't confuse that with making policy. You won't do anything more important than draft briefing memos or talking points until you've been there 20 years. Moving every 2-3 years is great when you're single, but when you've got a spouse and family it begins to get old after a decade or so. My kids don't know their grandparents.