US Department of Veterans Affairs - Good foot in the door to the federal government. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for US Department of Veterans Affairs

"Good foot in the door to the federal government."

Current Employee - Claims Examiner
Current Employee - Claims Examiner

Pros

Great place to get your foot in the door into the federal government. Good work and life balance. Generally excluded from budget cuts.

Cons

Not a lot of room to move up. There is also an enormous lack in communication which can be extermely frustrating.

Advice to Management

Our office really needs more communication when changes in policy interpreation occur. We need more room for movement in order to retain great employees and more praise for doing accurate work.

Other Employee Reviews for US Department of Veterans Affairs

1. "Mission is great, execution of that mission is questionable"

Current Employee - Health Systems Specialist
    Current Employee - Health Systems Specialist

Pros

The Mission to provide America's Veterans with the highest quality health care, training opportunities, work / life balance, and public service

Cons

The VA Way, employees in leadership positions who shouldn't be there, VA doesn't fire - they relocate, and a lack of change / willingness to adapt to the healthcare environment around VA

Advice to Management

Management at the medical center level needs to be more willing to change and adapt, to try new ideas, edit old and out of date policies, and create a new VA health care system that will meet the needs of our returning men and women who need our help.

"frantic pace and micromanaged"

Current Employee - Direct Patient Care, Outpatient Setting
    Current Employee - Direct Patient Care, Outpatient Setting

Pros

benefits if you can stick it out to retirement. Good if you join later in career as retirement requires 30 years service or as little at 5 years if you're over 59.
    opportunities to DO IT ALL!

Cons

current management micromanages and doesn't share their bonus funding.
    frantic pace to squeeze every ounce of productivity out of employees means a joyless day most days (something as simple as no one has the same lunch schedule-increases coverage but means no networking).
    I have hopes for the new folks coming up the ladder-the Peter Principle is in effect here.
    also minimal support from clerical staff-lazy or crazy isn't a reason to fire, but can make one question giving 100% when they don't (have to).

Advice to Management

Management's job should be to clear the runway so providers can help the vets. There are three phases: crushing us, staying out of the way, or helping us. Right now I'd settle for less micromanaging. There are many opportunities presented, but no time in the day to take advantage, and certainly no time to reflect on how we could do better- and no one knows what we can do because no one ever asks us, the people who do the job.