US Department of Veterans Affairs - Great Place to work, Great Mission, I come to work to serve veterans and work with great co-workers | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for US Department of Veterans Affairs

"Great Place to work, Great Mission, I come to work to serve veterans and work with great co-workers"

Current Employee - Supervisory Program Analyst in Washington, DC
Current Employee - Supervisory Program Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Pay, Experience, Great Mission, Vision, Good people

Cons

Commute, some lackadaisical workforce, workplace politics

Advice to Management

None, I am management. Communication works, nothing really to gripe about. You have good days and bad days. it's up to you to make the best out of your career. No point in griping on a website about things you can't change. If you come to VACO, expect to work hard or get left behind.

Other Employee Reviews for US Department of Veterans Affairs

"Not Your Veterans Dream Job"

Former Employee - Veteran Services Representative in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Veteran Services Representative in Oakland, CA

I worked at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Located in beautiful, downtown Oakland federal building, close to public transportation. If public transportation is used, VA will reimburse your costs.

Cons

Terrible, dog eat dog management. Emphasis is on fast processing of veterans disability claims regardless of ethical considerations or veterans' needs. Veterans Service Representative are under enormous pressure with thousands of claims backlogs. VERY understaffed, which continues in 2012 despite Congressional oversight.

Advice to Management

Either adopt professional ethics and dedication to veterans' services, or get another job.

2. "Lack of accountability, revolving hospital director door"

Current Employee - Administrative in Hines, IL
    Current Employee - Administrative in Hines, IL

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great to work with Veterans, there are some great workers here, benefits are fantastic.

Cons

Hospital needs direction, problems are swept under the rug, good workers are outnumbered by bad workers. Been there 7 years and we're on our fourth director. Find another VA.

Advice to Management

Someone needs to come in and say "the buck stops here". The culture of laziness cannot be ignored. Theft is rampant.