US Department of Veterans Affairs - Management just doesn't care | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for US Department of Veterans Affairs

"Management just doesn't care"

Current Employee - FMS in Orlando, FL
Current Employee - FMS in Orlando, FL

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time

Pros

Good pay and time off.

Cons

Crisis management, too many "yes" and face people, Or you get a lot that just sit in the office all day and don't bother to find out what is really happening and who is providing great service. Guess you could say that about the outside too but favoritism, nepotism are the rule here. I've had enough.

Advice to Management

Get up, look around, and do the right thing. Earn your big money.

Other Employee Reviews for US Department of Veterans Affairs

"Ageism abounds! Don't come here if you are over 30 and have true experience and skill."

Current Employee - HR Specialist in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - HR Specialist in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great opportunity to repay the brave men and women who have sacrificed so much for our country. Executive Leadership is comprised of people who have a true belief in the mission of the Agency, and they get a bad rap due to the people with whom they surround themselves.

Cons

Great Executive Leadership who are not paying attention, and who are sheltered from the reality of the morale and dissatisfaction of the front line management employees in every department. Leadership has an open door policy, but it is professional suicide to walk through that door.

We have been directed to pass every document, email, communication, or thought of any kind through our HR Leadership "thought police" prior to passing it through to the Director's staff. Mid to top level HR management, just below Leadership, is the least experienced and worst examples of HR professionals that I have ever experienced, which is the reason for the extreme dissatisfaction throughout the VA.

Lack of knowledge and real world experience on HR management's part, and their propensity to micro-manage their staff at every turn, leads to Agency wide disdain, which they earn every day. Pre-selection, though illegal is clearly evident, and there are no sour grapes in that statement, as I have never applied for promotion within this particular agency.

My job searches are ALL outside of VA Pittsburgh, as it is a house of cards, and when it does collapse, I do not want that blemish on my record. When mistakes are made within HR, the blame is ALWAYS directed at employees who have no autonomy or authority to make those mistakes.

To advance within the Agency at VA Pittsburgh, you must know how to nod at the appropriate moment, you must be willing to take full responsibility for all of your supervisor's/manager's mistakes without fuss, and you must be young enough for them to claim to be your mentor without looking ridiculous when they say it.

As a taxpayer, I am appalled that those with so little real technical knowledge, skills or abilities, and zero people skills, have advanced to positions where they are now advising the Executive Leadership of the Agency who have so much at stake. No wonder we are always in the news.

Advice to Management

Come from behind your office door. An open door policy is only as good as the folks guarding that door. Have true exit interviews, and do not rely on HR to do them for you, as HR Management is the reason for much of the exodus at the Agency. Surround yourself with employees who are more concerned with the mission of the Agency than they are with protecting their perch. And finally, look closely at what is going on within the department that is in control of hiring and job placement. Age discrimination is blatant and pre-selection is continuous. This will eventually be brought out in the open, and be made public.

"Typical of govt work"

Current Employee - Cemetery Representative in Holly, MI
    Current Employee - Cemetery Representative in Holly, MI

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I work with a lot of great people. We do a lot of great work helping veterans and their families

Cons

We work for the government so the simplest, most mundane of tasks are overly bureaucratic. You're generally working for someone who you're smarter and more qualified than, you just don't "know someone" like they do.

Advice to Management

You should all quit.