US Department of Veterans Affairs - Make friends of management | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

There are newer employer reviews for US Department of Veterans Affairs

"Make friends of management"

Former Employee - Clerical/Administrative (Various Titles) in Saint Louis, MO
Former Employee - Clerical/Administrative (Various Titles) in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

the same benefits that would be for any federal job, nothing outstanding about VA

Cons

Out of several federal agencies I have worked at, the most who you know and favorites for promotion I have seen. Management mouths equality, fairness and neutrality, but do not practice it.

Advice to Management

Take a very close look at who you are promoting, often the "most shiny"(friend, perky or relative) gets the job, not the best choice, especially in positions of influence.

Other Employee Reviews for US Department of Veterans Affairs

"Logical people need not apply..."

Current Employee - Loan Specialist
    Current Employee - Loan Specialist

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedule. Flexible leave. Retirement benefits.

Cons

If it makes sense don't do it. If you think your here to help vets, you are wrong, the lender is who we cowtow to. I've seen better salary and health insurance in the private sector. Know that you are just a number, you are not here to think. Vets have veterans preference in the application process however I would not refer my worst enemy to work here. If you do choose to apply, be forewarned the application process moves at the speed of government often weaving you through convoluted twists and turns only to never get hired or worse actually getting the job. A large part of the bonuses are distributed to management and you're lucky to see 2% of your salary. Great deeds are largely overlooked. There is no room for growth unless you are a blonde female and are party to the "Suzy Miss Sunshine Club". They spy on your instant messages and emails. The younger employees are often looking for jobs elsewhere and the older employees have been beaten into submission, i.e. the Government Beat down. The employees wear the disdain for jobs on their faces day in and day out, some counting down the longest days to retirement, few grasp on to that last bit of hope that a job offer will come through and some, well some have taken the short walk down a long barrel.

Advice to Management

We are here to help veterans, not serve big business or even try to make them happy. The lenders certainly see the fruits of dragging our vets across the coals, management should stand true to the guidelines and quit bending the rules for the big banks. "To care for him who shall have borne the battle and for his widow and his orphan" Lincoln

Aim to micromanage the lenders, not the employees. Reward inspirational efforts, exceptional work, phenomenal ideas, and superior employees. Offer tuition assistance. Allow employees to use different paths that get the same work done. If an employee doesn't meet productivity year after year, fire them. We are people, not machines treat us as such.

2. "Dynamic ever changing organization"

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There is a lot of opportunity for growth in this government hospital. It is part of large bureaucracy but once you lean the ropes it can be a very rewarding place to work. Like every workplace there are good, bad, and indifferent co-workers and it is no different here. Benefits for FT permanent workers are outstanding.

Cons

With a large bureaucracy some things take a very long time to get done...especially dealing with useless employees. Once someone is past their probation, it's very difficult and time-consuming to fire them.