US Department of Veterans Affairs - VA for last 15 years | Glassdoor

"VA for last 15 years"

Current Employee - Not Saying Because of Fear of Retaliation in Washington, DC
Current Employee - Not Saying Because of Fear of Retaliation in Washington, DC

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Once you know how to navigate the system, you will understand how to get ahead.

Cons

archaic promotion schedule for nurses, office culture is toxix, racisim is rampant, inefficiencies reign, ethics is only on paper.

Other Employee Reviews for US Department of Veterans Affairs

"Physician Assistant"

Current Employee - Physician Assistant in Asheville, NC
    Current Employee - Physician Assistant in Asheville, NC

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The patient population is the best group of individuals to provide medical service. The benefits given and job security is hard to match in the private work sector. The fact that the retirement package consist of a pension and TSP allows you to dictate how much you will save for retirement.

Cons

Leadership is the major challenge. Administrators in the VA compared to the DOD are less helpful and knowledgable.

"Chronically mentally-ill vets assisting chronically mentally-ill vets. Hmmmm. What's wrong with this picture?"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eugene, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eugene, OR

I worked at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The good side are benefits, pay, and Thrift Savings Plan. The department I was in had funds to spend on equipment for the most part ...so that offered a better program for Vets, than other programs at the clinic. Support from sister site. Lots of training annually.

Cons

Veterans take Civilians jobs, generally, because they often score higher on initial test. In order to keep my job, I had to test out. HR expressed that my score was high enough for an interview and then later took that back, saying that Headquarters had called and not all test scores had come in and another Veteran had knocked me off the list. As a dependent of a Veteran, I can appreciate helping Veterans, however I was not given the same opportunities at the VA which was experienced as a form of discrimination. Be a whistle-blower, and they'll find a way to get rid of you as an employee. Corrupt-breed-corruption. Overall, it seemed to be a work environment that was imploding. Unfair practices, not holding employees responsible, and looking the other way @ behavior that was unethical.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to what's happening in the departments managed. Off site management is not beneficial to uphold ethics. Monitor HR practices.