US Department of Veterans Affairs - not perfect, but pretty good | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for US Department of Veterans Affairs

"not perfect, but pretty good"

Current Employee - Nurse Practitioner in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Nurse Practitioner in Seattle, WA

Pros

to build clinical skills and take care of patients in a system that is continuously improving and without the interface of insurance problems of the private sector

Cons

government beurocracy
older managers who are not using best practices to motivate employees

Advice to Management

this is advice for nursing management at this VA:
support your employees
avoid the top-down management style that you currently use (my way or the highway)
listen to suggestions and grievances

Other Employee Reviews for US Department of Veterans Affairs

"VA - a tough job, but somebody's gotta do it."

Former Employee - Dietetic Intern in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Dietetic Intern in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

The Dietetic Internship is strong, and has a great reputation. I thought when I was coming in that it would be an amazing and challenging year, but it really turned out to just be challenging.

Cons

Bureaucracy, lots of frustrations and being treated like a kid by some of the higher ups. I though that this would be a place where I would make great connections, and I did connect with some of the medical staff and other interns, but overall, the RDs treated us condescendingly, which was really awful.

Advice to Management

Try to make the interns feel more welcome so we will come work for you! Almost none of us ever wanted to see that place again.

2. "Government work is difficult but worth the effort."

Former Employee - Vocational Rehabilitation Specialist in Providence, RI
    Former Employee - Vocational Rehabilitation Specialist in Providence, RI

Pros

Benefits. Lifetime partially paid health insurance. Paid Holidays. Thrift Savings Plan. Paid Vacation & Sick days. Paid holidays.

Cons

Medical Centers and Benefits' offices are like two different organizations even though they are the same organization. Local management is always changing. They come for a year or two and bid on jobs at other locations to attain promotions. Once someone is beyond their probationary period of employment it is near impossible to remove them for any reason, be it incompetence or otherwise. Too many employees leave the "bad attitude" impression with the public that ends up labeling all good employees as typical government employees - just don't care about the public. You are abused by the public. They can say nasty things to your face, but you are expected to turn your cheek and take it.

Advice to Management

You have a slogan "One VA", use it.