US Department of Veterans Affairs - VA - a tough job, but somebody's gotta do it. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for US Department of Veterans Affairs

"VA - a tough job, but somebody's gotta do it."

Former Employee - Dietetic Intern in Los Angeles, CA
Former Employee - Dietetic Intern in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

The Dietetic Internship is strong, and has a great reputation. I thought when I was coming in that it would be an amazing and challenging year, but it really turned out to just be challenging.

Cons

Bureaucracy, lots of frustrations and being treated like a kid by some of the higher ups. I though that this would be a place where I would make great connections, and I did connect with some of the medical staff and other interns, but overall, the RDs treated us condescendingly, which was really awful.

Advice to Management

Try to make the interns feel more welcome so we will come work for you! Almost none of us ever wanted to see that place again.

Other Employee Reviews for US Department of Veterans Affairs

1. "Government work is difficult but worth the effort."

Former Employee - Vocational Rehabilitation Specialist in Providence, RI
    Former Employee - Vocational Rehabilitation Specialist in Providence, RI

Pros

Benefits. Lifetime partially paid health insurance. Paid Holidays. Thrift Savings Plan. Paid Vacation & Sick days. Paid holidays.

Cons

Medical Centers and Benefits' offices are like two different organizations even though they are the same organization. Local management is always changing. They come for a year or two and bid on jobs at other locations to attain promotions. Once someone is beyond their probationary period of employment it is near impossible to remove them for any reason, be it incompetence or otherwise. Too many employees leave the "bad attitude" impression with the public that ends up labeling all good employees as typical government employees - just don't care about the public. You are abused by the public. They can say nasty things to your face, but you are expected to turn your cheek and take it.

Advice to Management

You have a slogan "One VA", use it.

2. "Not even close to being a good place to work."

Former Employee - Ultrasonographer in Tacoma, WA
    Former Employee - Ultrasonographer in Tacoma, WA

Pros

The benefits are from the government. Huge stable organization.

Cons

Run down dark and dingy facilities with out-dated equipment. The staff seems miserable and not of the highest caliber. A lot of the Dr's seem un-caring, just going through the motions. If you don't smoke or use vulgarity on a regular basis you won't fit in.

Advice to Management

Clean up the facilities and make even the grounds non-smoking. Set some standards of dress and hygiene and curb the raunchy talk amoungst employees.