US Department of Veterans Affairs - There are better organizations to work with | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for US Department of Veterans Affairs

"There are better organizations to work with"

Current Employee - Research Specialist in San Diego, CA
Current Employee - Research Specialist in San Diego, CA

Pros

The best part of working there is that you can pay your bills while looking for another job.

Cons

There are numerous hassles working at the VA. Even getting to work is difficult. The parking is bad and it rolls down hill from there. Even if you never work with patient data you are under demands to protect your data on computers. Wasteful retraining is required for irrelevant material. As a researcher in the biological sciences if found it cumbersome to work under rules designed for medical workers.

Advice to Management

I really didn't deal with them. I would generally say that there are huge bureaucracies between people that work there and the senior management. A typical government agency.

Other Employee Reviews for US Department of Veterans Affairs

1. "not perfect, but pretty good"

Current Employee - Nurse Practitioner in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Nurse Practitioner in Seattle, WA

Pros

to build clinical skills and take care of patients in a system that is continuously improving and without the interface of insurance problems of the private sector

Cons

government beurocracy
    older managers who are not using best practices to motivate employees

Advice to Management

this is advice for nursing management at this VA:
    support your employees
    avoid the top-down management style that you currently use (my way or the highway)
    listen to suggestions and grievances

"VA - a tough job, but somebody's gotta do it."

Former Employee - Dietetic Intern in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Dietetic Intern in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

The Dietetic Internship is strong, and has a great reputation. I thought when I was coming in that it would be an amazing and challenging year, but it really turned out to just be challenging.

Cons

Bureaucracy, lots of frustrations and being treated like a kid by some of the higher ups. I though that this would be a place where I would make great connections, and I did connect with some of the medical staff and other interns, but overall, the RDs treated us condescendingly, which was really awful.

Advice to Management

Try to make the interns feel more welcome so we will come work for you! Almost none of us ever wanted to see that place again.