US Fish and Wildlife Service - Great career choice | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

"Great career choice"

Current Employee - Fish and Wildlife Biologist in Atlanta, GA
Current Employee - Fish and Wildlife Biologist in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at US Fish and Wildlife Service full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Getting to work outside with my passion in life is definitely a plus. Benefits are great and management is very flexible with allowing time off.

Cons

Am told sometimes that we do things because "that's how we've always done them." Typical federal red tape, but not an intolerable amount.

Other Employee Reviews for US Fish and Wildlife Service

1. "Great people to work with"

I have been working at US Fish and Wildlife Service (More than a year)

Pros

Full of passionate and motivated coworkers who love what they do. They truly believe in the mission to preserve and protect our environment and wildlife.

Cons

Unfortunately, while our economy is in the gutter and there is no stable budget for government agencies, the number of staff members has decreased and there does not seem to be any sign of that changing soon.

2. "Great Mission, mostly great people, administration and leadership at all levels is lacking"

Former Employee - Program Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at US Fish and Wildlife Service full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The mission is central and most people are passionate about it. Culture is relaxed, good work/life balance, pay, benefits and stability.

Cons

Leadership and administration do more harm than good. HR practices are head scratching at best and borderline corrupt at worst. Bad managers stay bad managers until they decide to leave, there is no one above looking to push them to be better, HQ promises a lot and delivers very little.

Advice to Management

Strengthen HQ and Regional levels by giving them real authority to promote efficiency. Find ways to keep your best people, ever heard of succession planning?