US Geological Survey - Valuable experience | Glassdoor

"Valuable experience"

Former Intern - Physical Science Technician in Boise, ID
Former Intern - Physical Science Technician in Boise, ID

I worked at US Geological Survey as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

very flexible work schedule, paid holidays, per diem for days doing field work. I was given a lot of independence and a comfortable amount of responsibility as an intern. Some of the lab work was monotonous, but I was given the opportunity to do research, create laboratory experiment protocols, and learn about the work of most scientists in the office.

Cons

Logging OT is definitely discouraged, and certain types of lab work might require you to adjust your work schedule, but it depends entirely on your assignments. As it is part of the federal government, a fair amount of time is devoted to paperwork, and specific procedures regarding email, logging hours, etc., so expect that to be a regular part of your workday.

Advice to Management

Keep it up. The effort to improve communication between different divisions of the USGS was interesting to see, even as an intern.

Other Employee Reviews for US Geological Survey

1. "It is a great place to work for a easy going people"

Current Contractor - Hydrologic Technician in Louisville, KY
    Current Contractor - Hydrologic Technician in Louisville, KY

I have been working at US Geological Survey as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Very laid back. They give you the freedom to get you work done at your own pace; that is assuming you get it done. Summer times are especially great because you are outside, usually in pretty remote places making discharge measurements.
    Any travel you get pretty nice per-diem. Per-diem was new to me so I enjoyed that.
    Easy job, not a stressing environment.

Cons

If you are a driven person...you will stand out. However, for a civil engineer like me, I didnt find a lot of purpose in what I was doing. Sure I enjoyed my work, it was great being outside (except for the winter) but The USGS are Data Collectors and that was never a passion of mine. I feel all that accomplished at the end of the day

2. "Enjoy working hard for an agency that doesn't always value itself and likely undervalues it's work and mission."

Current Employee - Geologic Cartographer in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Geologic Cartographer in Reston, VA

I have been working at US Geological Survey full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Love working with high quality science and people. The caliber of individuals is high and management continues to get generally better.

Cons

Constant worries about budgets and not always having the resources to do what I need to do. Constant reorganizations don't always help.