US Indian Health Service - Intern - Great experience | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for US Indian Health Service

"Intern - Great experience"

Former Intern - Environmental Engineer in Bemidji, MN
Former Intern - Environmental Engineer in Bemidji, MN

I worked at US Indian Health Service as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked as an engineering intern with IHS
Great camaraderie with others in the office. Wonderful environment
Great pay/benefits, especially for a summer internship
They really give you tons of project experience, rather than pigeon-holing you filling out forms or only doing one aspect of a project, as I've heard is the case with many private firms
Get to really broaden your cultural perspective. If you live near the reservation, you'll hear about Native-related events all the time, and they're all really fun
Even as an intern, I was salaried and pretty much allowed to work when i wanted, take lunch whenever and for as long as I wanted, as long as I put in at least 40 hours of work each week.

Cons

Human Resources is spectacularly awful; in the Area Office and especially in Washington DC. You'll have to deal with at least 4 different people when trying to get one job, and even though they all may work just a few feet away from each other, it seems like not one of them knows what the other is doing. I had to fill out 3-4 copies of every form, send out official transcripts (via Express Mail) multiple times, just because Person A was totally unwilling to walk down the hall and show them to Person B (and I was never reimbursed for this).

Advice to Management

Streamline your human resources department, but it's probably impossible, because this is the federal government we're talking about.

Other Employee Reviews for US Indian Health Service

"Move along, nothing to see."

Former Employee - Medical Records in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Medical Records in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at US Indian Health Service full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The jobs are easy to get, no one wants to work there.

Cons

Outsiders walk on egg shells, USPHS outdated and outmoded and exists as a good government job. Race preference permeates all aspects of work. Non Indians expected to appreciate cultural events. Lots of social service work. Stifled and suppressed work environment. Everything relies on government checks. Long term employees look bitten and tired.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you do, we'll keep working elsewhere.

"Hostile work environment"

I have been working at US Indian Health Service full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great 401k and 8 hours of annual leave per pay period after 15 years. Most of the patients are lovely and friendly as well as a majority of staff.

Cons

IHS shows serious favoritism to natives and corp members. The high turnover rate keeps incompetent temporary upper management that changes local rules at their whim to benefit themselves and their favorites while undermining and keeping those they don't like without approved time off or promotion.

Advice to Management

Upper management needs to do serious site inspections, interviewing all employees and not just taking acting CEO's word for truth. Make your presence known and make it known you care about all of the employees in your area. Do not support reprimands for termination based on limited information without investigation of the whole truth, not just the words of a very few over the majority.