US Indian Health Service - Great clinical experience / terrible working conditions. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for US Indian Health Service

"Great clinical experience / terrible working conditions."

Former Employee - Physician in Gallup, NM
Former Employee - Physician in Gallup, NM

I worked at US Indian Health Service full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast hiring process, good benefits. Great clinical experience. Consider it a well paid Residency, then get out.

Cons

Strong bias against non natives. The staff gets a big kick out of seeing non native professional staff fired for bogus violations based on rumor. Providers dumped at remote clinics with no orientation , EHR training or even EHR access. Rude, disrespectful, lazy support staff who can't be bothered to work up a patient or put an urgent referral through. No support from management. Career management are to busy covering their own incompetent asses to get anything done. IHS pours billions of dollars down the drain over treating and medicating non compliant patients, instead of addressing the real problem: uncontrolled diabetes , alcoholism and obesity .

Advice to Management

Fire yourself. Oh, that is right...you can't because chances are you are an incompetent, lazy bootlicker who could not get another job.

Other Employee Reviews for US Indian Health Service

"Professional Licensed Staff (Native American)"

Current Employee - Professional Licensed Staff
    Current Employee - Professional Licensed Staff

I have been working at US Indian Health Service full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Primary health care provider for a vulnerable, at-risk population. Clients are the best part of this work. Benefits are excellent since they are federal.

Cons

Public Health Service manages direct care staff in IHS clinics. Public Heath Service have Caucasian managers and a Caucasian CEO at my former work site. This meant that Native Americans professionals did not have the capacity to be promoted to management since these positions were the domain of Public Health Service. Public Health Service managers are uniformed officers and loyalty to their corps is the highest value. High turnover in direct care staff is common due to poor quality of management, poor working conditions and Public Health Service officers who promote corps interest over Indian Health Service interest.

Advice to Management

My advice is to Indian Health Service: A mandatory confidential exit interview conducted by an independent third party needs to occur with each resignation.

2. "Intern - Great experience"

Former Intern - Environmental Engineer in Bemidji, MN
    Former Intern - Environmental Engineer in Bemidji, MN

I worked at US Indian Health Service as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked as an engineering intern with IHS
    Great camaraderie with others in the office. Wonderful environment
    Great pay/benefits, especially for a summer internship
    They really give you tons of project experience, rather than pigeon-holing you filling out forms or only doing one aspect of a project, as I've heard is the case with many private firms
    Get to really broaden your cultural perspective. If you live near the reservation, you'll hear about Native-related events all the time, and they're all really fun
    Even as an intern, I was salaried and pretty much allowed to work when i wanted, take lunch whenever and for as long as I wanted, as long as I put in at least 40 hours of work each week.

Cons

Human Resources is spectacularly awful; in the Area Office and especially in Washington DC. You'll have to deal with at least 4 different people when trying to get one job, and even though they all may work just a few feet away from each other, it seems like not one of them knows what the other is doing. I had to fill out 3-4 copies of every form, send out official transcripts (via Express Mail) multiple times, just because Person A was totally unwilling to walk down the hall and show them to Person B (and I was never reimbursed for this).

Advice to Management

Streamline your human resources department, but it's probably impossible, because this is the federal government we're talking about.