US Joint Chiefs of Staff - Generally positive. But short corporate memory, limited resources | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for US Joint Chiefs of Staff

"Generally positive. But short corporate memory, limited resources"

I have been working at US Joint Chiefs of Staff full-time

Pros

We have a huge impact on the functioning of the DOD. We advise on all manner of problems from resources to strategy to personnel. What the JCS contributes is taken very seriously and the people I work with are among the best in their respective fields.

Cons

Civilians are second class citizens on the JCS. We are rarely rarely given leadership roles and are frequently second-guessed. It's not a matter of disrespect - I believe my coworkers believe I am smart and capable, but rather that the organization is focused on military careers.

Advice to Management

You must find ways to get more resources. Arguing over a matter of a $300 conference fee for a professional employee is ridiculous. I find it hard to believe that the JCS is THIS cash starved, even under sequestration. I don't have the software to do my job - so I write my own VBA code to get it done!

Other Employee Reviews for US Joint Chiefs of Staff

1. "Great professional military staff to work with"

Current Employee - Senior Military Officer in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Military Officer in Arlington, VA

I have been working at US Joint Chiefs of Staff full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fantastic co-workers; Services send their best officers. The civilians are great as well and provide the essential continuity.

Cons

Continued possibility of less structure but no reduction in the work.

Long hours for the action officers.

Advice to Management

Continue to acknowledge the contributions of your subordinates - it does matter.

2. "Policy and Strategy Planner, Country Desk Officer"

Current Employee - Policy and Strategy Planner, Country Desk Officer in Arlington, VA

I have been working at US Joint Chiefs of Staff full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Developing and analyzing policy in a fast paced environment is enjoyable, especially when you are able to see your work become source material for decisions at the highest levels of government.

Cons

Long hours. The downsizing of the staff has resulted in more work than can be accomplished by the assigned personnel.

Advice to Management

Defend an increase in the number of assigned personnel at the Joint Staff.