US Marine Corps - I have given a lot and in turn I have received a lot from the Marine Corps. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for US Marine Corps

"I have given a lot and in turn I have received a lot from the Marine Corps."

Current Employee - Helicopter Pilot in San Diego, CA
Current Employee - Helicopter Pilot in San Diego, CA

I have been working at US Marine Corps full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very exciting and rewarding lifestyle.

Cons

Very demanding time commitment and hard on family.

Other Employee Reviews for US Marine Corps

1. "I'm glad I did it, but I can't take it anymore"

Current Employee - Legal in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Legal in San Diego, CA

I have been working at US Marine Corps full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

-Excellent benefits
    -Pay is very good after a few years and you have attained SNCO rank or if you become an officer.
    -Great character builder.
    -Lots of respect, discounts, free stuff and other perks from the community in general, businesses, military programs etc.
    -You get a chance to see exotic places (maybe, it's part luck and part your job. Your chances increase if we're at war).
    -It can be fun sometimes if you like being in the field and shooting guns and stuff like that.
    -You make lifelong friends.
    -College tuition.
    -You get a chance to learn a skill, if you get the right test scores, that is (choose your job wisely).

Cons

Where to start...
    -The first few years suck. You get treated like crap, your freedom is greatly restricted, and the pay sucks.
    -Invariably you will have total idiots for leaders. You get the occasional good leader too.
    -Most of the times the people over you only care about and will base their actions on having a good fitness report so they can get promoted. You will have the occasional superior who really cares about you.
    -The promotion system is deeply flawed (hence you get idiots as leaders).
    -Your shitty leaders only care about you only as long as you're in the service. That is, they could care less whether or not you are preparing yourself for when you get out and have to compete in the civilian world. Sometimes they won't even afford you the opportunity to take college courses. You need your leadership's permission to do that.
    -For the most part you get moved around places every three years and chances are it will be some crappy duty station where you don't want to go. Families and kids get uprooted all the time. There are very few desirable duty stations.
    -The MC will screw you without hesitation if it's "for the good of the MC." The needs of the MC come first, no exceptions.
    -All in all, the MC will suck you dry and spit you out leaving you to fend for yourself in the civilian world after you've sacrificed so much. That's if you're lucky. The unlucky ones will get court-martialled for something as stupid as smoking weed or sleeping with someone who has been separated but not divorced (non-crimes in the civilian world). For doing that, a 19 year old kid will be convicted of a federal felony and get tagged with a bad-conduct discharge for the rest of his life and he'll never get a better job than maybe McDonald's or construction.

I have actually had a decent experience in the MC. This is what I've seen in my 13 years of service and it happens to the vast majority of Marines.

Advice to Management

See your troops as human beings who make mistakes. Realize that there will come a time when they are not in the MC anymore and your job as a leader should be to prepare them for when that day comes.

2. "Life changing"

Former Contractor - E4 - Marines - Corporal in Jacksonville, NC
    Former Contractor - E4 - Marines - Corporal in Jacksonville, NC

I worked at US Marine Corps as a contractor (More than 5 years)

Pros

Got to travel and I learned a useful trade for future endeavors.

Cons

Away from loved ones a lot and mass punishment.