US Marine Corps - boring for an intern | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

"boring for an intern"

Former Intern - Office Automation Clerk GS-0326 in Quantico, VA
Former Intern - Office Automation Clerk GS-0326 in Quantico, VA

I worked at US Marine Corps as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

salary is pretty good, great people to work with who are friendly and hardworking

Cons

sometimes it seems like the day doesn't end fast enough, can be very boring

Advice to Management

no complaints

Other Employee Reviews for US Marine Corps

1. "Corporal of Marines"

Former Employee - NCO of Marines - WWBE in Jacksonville, NC
    Former Employee - NCO of Marines - WWBE in Jacksonville, NC

I worked at US Marine Corps full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Defending the freedoms which make this country great.

Cons

Hierarchy, and individual thirst for glory often surpass logic, and mission accomplishment. Resulting cost of such self consumption is payed with lives of the most loyal, non corrupted, unselfish, brave men, who join with intend to protect this great country. They however soon discover the shameful actions which dis-illusion there very concept of America.

Advice to Management

Never forget it is about the man to your left and right. Politics have little room in the battle for liberty, freedom, and human rights.

2. "Needed it, hated it."

Former Employee - Tactical Networking Specialist in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Tactical Networking Specialist in Honolulu, HI

I worked at US Marine Corps full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I gained depth of experience that put me light-years ahead of college students. After barely two years in the IT industry I was juggling enterprise network architecture with management and tracking of several million dollars worth of equipment.

It was a phenomenal learning experience that set me up for success in the civilian world, and not something I could have gotten elsewhere.

Cons

Many of the senior personnel are people that could not survive in the civilian world due to a combination of shortsightedness and harsh attitude, which leads to those personnel holding leadership positions in the Marine Corps due to time in service.

That, in turn, leads to junior Marines being treated like they are sub-human. I spent a full off rotation working 100-120 hour weeks because our E-8 was lonely and our OIC was weak. So, the couple months that should have been used to decompress after returning from combat and prior to starting a workup cycle was used to punish us for frivolous reasons ("That radio has dust on it, I expect the entire platoon here at 0330 tomorrow morning").

I wouldn't be where I am without it, but I'd give an arm not to have to go back.

Advice to Management

Fix the VA. They actively try to inhibit people from getting their benefits. I gave my hearing for this country. I shouldn't have to appeal that twice just to try to get health coverage through them for my disability. Look out for your own.

Any time after graduating from boot camp, group punishment is stupid. It doesn't make us closer, it makes us resentful towards each other and, moreover, towards you. If that's the best way you can think of to solve a problem, you honestly need to set aside some time for professional development in your own life.