US National Guard - A complete let down | Glassdoor

"A complete let down"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

Pros

Education benefits once you are discharged.

Cons

Leadership in the last few years have started a head hunting mission for any one who makes a mistake. The thoughts at the lower level are one of being scared and a "yes" menatality to leaders. Leadership wants loyalty upwards but when anything goes wrong or you make a mistake you are thrown under the bus and left to die. Adverse actions against soldiers are so rampant that everyone is scared to do anything or disagree with leadership.

Advice to Management

I was always told that if I made a mistake I would be counseled, re-trained the continue in my job. Know it is make a mistake and get hammered.

Other Employee Reviews for US National Guard

1. "It was a rewarding experience that gives back as much as you contribute."

Former Employee - Human Resources Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Human Resources Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK

Pros

The NG provides great opportunities for a post-secondary education at little or no cost. Great progression and leadership training for future careers. This is a part time organization with opportunities for full-time.

Cons

As a military entity, there is always a potential for deployment. Not an organization to be a part of "just for the benefits". Must be willing and able to dedicate at least one weekend a month and 2 weeks per year for duty, which requires an absence from home.

Advice to Management

From my view, there appears to be a glass ceiling in the senior leadership positions. More transparent efforts should be made by the HR office to mentor minority junior leaders for growth.

2. "My experience was alright."

Former Employee - Cannon Crew Member in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Cannon Crew Member in Houston, TX

Pros

The pay and benefits they come with the job.

Cons

The senior management is awful.

Advice to Management

Stay on the readiness NCOs to do their paperwork. I wanted to stay in but wanted change my MOS and unit and my senior management gave me the round about because I wouldn't reenlist on their books. Now I am now ready to ETS.