US National Guard - More a calling than a job. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for US National Guard

"More a calling than a job."

Current Employee - Cadet in Somersworth, NH
Current Employee - Cadet in Somersworth, NH

I have been working at US National Guard part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Provides you a skill set that helps foster your own independence.
 - Gives you experience working with and managing teams of people, from groups of four to in the 100s.
 - Puts you in control of a lot of tax dollar's worth of equipment at a pretty low level.
 - Great chance for upwards mobility, at least to a certain point (E-1 to E-6, O-1 to O-4).
 - Service to nation, and the respect that it comes with.
 - Drill pay is pretty good for two days a weekend. (Can be around $100+/day once you're an E-4 or above).
 - Active Guard Reserve spots, where you work a full-time position in the NG or Reserve, come with full Active Duty pay and benefits. Check a pay table if you're interested, but this can be quite decent.

Cons

- Balancing the Soldier/Citizen mindset can be weird at times.
 - It may be only one weekend a month, two weeks a year (annual training), but the higher you go, the more of your time you'll have to be putting in.
 - It's the military - expect a lot of structure and paperwork. Creativity is appreciated, but don't expect to revolutionize the system.
 - Advancement is limited by time-in-service, unless you drop your request to go something "high-speed", as we say.

Advice to Management

- Stay flexible, and look for ways to cover up gaps in budget and supplies. There's enough experience in your companies/battalions/whatever that just about anything can be pulled off with enough effort.
 - Keep the standards high. Drop 'em if they can't hit that PT minimum, if they don't stay up to date

Other Employee Reviews for US National Guard

1. "Part time"

I worked at US National Guard part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

while I was in the national Guard I got deployed Iraq in 2009. My training instilled in me true Honor, Pride, Respect, and a purpose with what I was doing. I got out of the military in 2012 and since then have missed it and the people I have met!

Cons

Some of what I didn't like about my military experience was some of the things you have to deal with like mismanagement of time so there was sitting around and in that same day would have to stay up 20 hours. Hurry up and wait. Also be aware of psychological traits and how intense your anger may get.

Advice to Management

do more than what your told and prepare. do more than the minimums and ask for classes/ courses to take or teach.

2. "Rewarding based on the opportunity to change the lives of those enlisting."

Former Employee - Recruiting Manager
    Former Employee - Recruiting Manager

I worked at US National Guard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fortunate to have received top-notch training during my entire career. Got to work with and interact with a lot of good Soldiers.

Cons

Pressure is always there at all levels to produce enlistments. Stress is very high and it is easy to go from being a hero one month to a zero the next month due to meeting one's quota or not.

Advice to Management

Quality of life is often spoken about but rarely attained based on a constant demand to over produce enlistments.