US Navy - Awesome...hoping to become a GS civilian again sometime soon. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for US Navy

"Awesome...hoping to become a GS civilian again sometime soon."

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant
Former Employee - Administrative Assistant

Pros

Nice benefits, competitive salary, great advancement opportunities, tuition reimbursement/college money.

Cons

If you are active duty, the better you are at your job, the harder and more you work to make up for lack of planning and those who don't put in their fair share of work/ responsibility. As a civilian, it's a totally different story, and the old adage "Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine" actually means something, if you work at a small command which does not have the funds to pay you overtime (in other words, you are guaranteed only a 40 hr workweek). Trust me, if you value work/life balance more than pay, you want it this way, even if it means you might be on the bottom of the pay scale for the position you are applying/interviewing for. You get performance reviews yearly and can always advance pay raises by steps so that will change. Active duty was a great experience and afforded me a great work ethic and a lot of skills I can use anywhere, but I very much prefer the normal 40 hour week as a GS civilian so I can spend time with my family, especially as a military spouse now, whose active duty husband deploys.

Other Employee Reviews for US Navy

1. "Great for initial experience, making a career out of it is hard"

Current Employee - Gas Turbine Systems Electrician
    Current Employee - Gas Turbine Systems Electrician

I have been working at US Navy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great training, life experience, good benefits, plenty of chances to move up if you have good work ethic and can deal with the politics.

Cons

Time away from family, pay could be better for sacrifices made, sometimes dealing with people that are senior to you in rank but VERY junior to you in age and experience can be hard.

Advice to Management

Remember where you came from.

2. "Not Just a Job, An Adventure"

Current Employee - Naval Officer
    Current Employee - Naval Officer

Pros

Variety of Work
    Leadership Opportunities
    High Tech

Cons

Civil Service employees treat the military personnel as an annoyance even though we're the reason for their existence.

Advice to Management

Get the civilian overhead structure and power structure under control