US Navy - Serving your country through national defense; a worldwide career. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for US Navy

"Serving your country through national defense; a worldwide career."

Current Employee - Nuclear Submarine Officer in Arlington, VA
Current Employee - Nuclear Submarine Officer in Arlington, VA

I have been working at US Navy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Worldwide job assignments; you move every 3-5 years, around the United States and even overseas. You work with exceptional people, serve your country, and earn a comfortable living while doing it.

Cons

Hours can be longer than in a private sector job and pay is salaried so there's no overtime. Moving every 3-5 years can add stress to a marriage and family life; moving is a pro though, it's just something that can add stress to your family life and needs to be managed. It won't be for everyone.

Advice to Management

Recommend that mentorship be more stressed and applied, even to senior military members that are transitioning from service to the private sector.

Other Employee Reviews for US Navy

1. "E6 Navy reviewE"

Current Employee - Petty Officer First Class in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Petty Officer First Class in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at US Navy full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Travel the world.
    College Tuition Assistance program that you dont have to pay back as long as you get a C or better in the class.

Cons

Working hours on a ship can sometimes be 6 days a week and last till 6pm or later after being there since 630am.
    Deployments are now 10 months minimum with only 5months between deployments.
    Navy is down sizing and kicking people out left and right, or some how declairing you no longer needed even if you have never had an incident in your record.

Advice to Management

Figure out how to get the evaluation system to encorperate eval write ups and trait mark average. Right now its a computer only looking at P, MP, EP. With the navy only allowing 10% EP and 40% MP, you have al lot of MP quality sailors getting a P eval and getting deamed not fit to reenlist by a PTS computer.

2. "A Good Experience"

Current Employee - Nuclear Submarine Officer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Nuclear Submarine Officer in Washington, DC

I have been working at US Navy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

This career has provided me with great training in leadership, technical, operational, programmatic, and risk management. I have enjoyed my co-workers immensely and have had some very exciting an unique opportunities.

Cons

The time away from my family and my work-life balance have been very challenging things to manage. The Navy demands a lot of effort and sacrifice from both sailors, and the ones who love them. On sea duty, I have maintained a 60%+ operational tempo over the last 10 years.

Advice to Management

Leadership is everything in this work. It is difficult to pay people more money, or move them where they want to be located. Commanding Officers should set a tone for high standards and high performance, without sacrificing the morale of their sailors.