US Navy - US Navy a global force for good | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for US Navy

"US Navy a global force for good"

Current Employee - Surgical Technologist in Portsmouth, VA
Current Employee - Surgical Technologist in Portsmouth, VA

I have been working at US Navy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The best reason to work for an elite force like the US Navy is because there are lots of opportunities, both as a Military personnel and when you are in the Military.

Cons

Something's long sea duty deployment sucks.

Advice to Management

The upper management in US Navy are here to guide junior/enlisted staff to attain their career goal.

Other Employee Reviews for US Navy

1. "Ride of my life"

Current Employee - E6 - Navy - Petty Officer, 1st Class in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - E6 - Navy - Petty Officer, 1st Class in San Diego, CA

I have been working at US Navy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Variety of possibilities for work experiences and life experiences. Camaraderie is unmatched. You get to do really cool stuff. Education and benefits can't be beat.

Cons

It's not always fun and games. The same intensity of good times can have equally if not worse negative times. ie: War is hell. Contractual obligations can pose issues for some who can't handle this type of lifestyle

Advice to Management

None

2. "Surface Nuclear Electronics Technician"

Current Employee - Surface Nuclear Electronics Technician in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Surface Nuclear Electronics Technician in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at US Navy full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I recieved exactly what I expected from this job, including both the Pros and Cons...I did a LOT of research before joining the enlisted Navy. Provides work experience that will make you very marketable when you leave the Navy. Provides schooling that will give you a LOT of college credits in a related field. Voluntarily enlisted rather than officer program (had a college degree before joining) because of the OJT experience and credentials you receive are outstanding. Provides opportunity for SRO qualifications at civilian power plants after Navy life. This position is an excellent trampoline towards decent-paying tech positions; even better if you are good at your job, take on more responsibility, and advance in rank. 20 years in the military will provide you with enough money to live on per month for the rest of your life.

Cons

Treated like garbage as enlisted. The most loathsome civilian is your God while enlisted. An Officer with the exact same degree as you will also be your God while enlisted. Treated like garbage before becoming fully qualified by folks you work with 12 hours per day. You will spend 3/4 of your life on your ship if you are on a comissioned ship...I hope your significant other can accept this, truely. In reactor department, the higher-ranking you are, the more your life sucks...therefore, excellence at work makes your life much much worse and you will only be paid slightly more. People with the same rank and title as you may do actual "work" for 1 hour a day, while you do 12. The Navy does not eliminate the un-motivated, mostly-worthless in reactor department. They only eliminate those who pose potential legal problems. You will frequently meet people who do the minimum possible to scrape by, while you work your hands to the bone...and the plus side of that, if you stay Navy, and especially if you make rank...your life gets worse.

Advice to Management

Our OJT experience makes us extremely marketable for civilian companies. Therefore, doing the minimum ammount possible to stay a Navy nuclear qualified person for their enlistment contract is way too tempting for a LOT of people. Pay us MUCH more, and eliminate the worthless (at every point in the pipeline, and especially after they prove their un-worth at their first Command), just like any civilian company, and you will have an incredibly strong team that can do more, with less, and more efficiently. The bull$h!t we put up with will never end, but the quality of people we employ to deal with that bull$h!t can drastically improve.