US Navy - I have had a diverse career that included flying, and program management for aircraft, satellite and IT systems. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for US Navy
There are newer employer reviews for US Navy

See Most Recent

"I have had a diverse career that included flying, and program management for aircraft, satellite and IT systems."

StarStarStarStarStar
  • Work/Life Balance
  • Culture & Values
  • Career Opportunities
  • Comp & Benefits
  • Senior Management
Current Employee - Program Manager in Washington, DC
Current Employee - Program Manager in Washington, DC
Recommends
Negative Outlook
No opinion of CEO

I have been working at US Navy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Opportunity to do many different things. Leadership and responsibility at a very young age. Travel. Education

Cons

Can't quit when you want. Regimented lifestyle. Deployments of six months or greater. Not vested in retirement system until 20 year mark.

Other Employee Reviews for US Navy

  1. "Exceptional Experience Building"

    StarStarStarStarStar
    • Work/Life Balance
    • Culture & Values
    • Career Opportunities
    • Comp & Benefits
    • Senior Management
    Current Employee - Deputy Branch Head in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Deputy Branch Head in Washington, DC
    Recommends
    Neutral Outlook
    No opinion of CEO

    I have been working at US Navy full-time (More than 10 years)

    Pros

    See the world; builds discipline; experience the reward and the results of hard work; job grows with you

    Cons

    As elsewhere, becomes more political the more senior you become; inefficient; bureaucratic and difficult to implement change; lacks agility and flexibility (except in specialized groups)

    Advice to Management

    Promoting from within is a necessity because of experience requirements; however, leaders should also recognize its weaknesses. The military could benefit by taking deliberate steps to avoid like-minded thinking and other decision making process biases such as anchoring, inattentional blindness, committment, etc. Human tendency is to like people in the in-group (like oneself). Continuously promoting in-group has long term consequences and may result in a weaker organization in the future.


  2. "Naval Aviator"

    StarStarStarStarStar
    • Work/Life Balance
    • Culture & Values
    • Career Opportunities
    • Comp & Benefits
    • Senior Management
    Current Employee - Navy Aviator in Pensacola, FL
    Current Employee - Navy Aviator in Pensacola, FL
    Recommends
    Positive Outlook
    Approves of CEO

    I have been working at US Navy full-time (More than 10 years)

    Pros

    I was able to live my dream in its entirety in the US Navy.
    Had the best of both worlds with my family and my friends.
    Flew 46 aircraft from all over the world. Unbelievably and indescribably fun with great people to work with. Great medical and dental benefits.

    Cons

    Time away got old, but overall it was a great ride.
    80% of everything I did I probably would have done for free, but there was no amount of money that could have made me do the other 20% - THAT was done because I love the team and bought into the vision what was trying to be accomplished.

    Advice to Management

    Don't forget to have fun. The job can be either fun or tedious depending on the leadership. Choose the "fun" option and people will want to stay and they will perform better.

There are newer employer reviews for US Navy
There are newer employer reviews for US Navy

See Most Recent

Work at US Navy? Share Your Experiences

US Navy
  • Star
  • Star
  • Star
  • Star
  • Star
 
Click to Rate
or