US Navy - Logistics Specialist | Glassdoor

"Logistics Specialist"

Current Employee - Logistics Specialist in Pearl City, HI
Current Employee - Logistics Specialist in Pearl City, HI

I have been working at US Navy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay, benefits, travel, retirement, diverse cultures, tuition assistance,

Cons

Leaving the family behind for long periods of time.

Advice to Management

Actually do some mentoring to your juniors.

Other Employee Reviews for US Navy

1. "Good Pay; Better Benefits"

Current Employee - Avionics Technician First Line Supervisor in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at US Navy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I feel the pay is competitive in my electronics technician field if you do not consider overtime that is not paid for. The benefits of medical and dental coverage/insurance for my family and I can not be beat in today's corporate America. Tuition Assistance is also available.

Cons

Frequent deployments away from family can be tough. Plenty of overtime will be worked, although in the military, there is no "time and a half" pay. My wife calculated my hourly wage, and well, we won't mention it, it's that depressing.

Advice to Management

Deep Six the way advancement to Chief Petty Officers are handled and replace it with a 360 Performance Evaluations along with more weight for the advancement exam. I mean, how can one be a leader when they continue to fail the subordinate development section of the tests?

2. "Great stepping stone to accelerate your life."

Former Employee - Missile Technician in Bremerton, WA
    Former Employee - Missile Technician in Bremerton, WA

I worked at US Navy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Provides a variety of different skills to learn for a trade, Advancement, Benefits. Instead of going to college join the Navy where you get a valuable work experience and they pay for your college.

Cons

The donwside for working in the Navy is the amount of hours you have to put in each week. On a submarine you are gone for 90 days plus at a time. During the refit periods you work 24 hours every three days. It is not conducive to a personal lifestyle.

Advice to Management

More time off on shore duty to make up for the amount of time a person works while on board a ship. More diverse training opportunities for younger sailors. Increase the responsibliity offered to younger sailors. Motivation of employees is horrible.