US Navy - Time of my life! | Glassdoor

"Time of my life!"

Current Contractor - Aviation Electronics Technician in Norfolk, VA
Current Contractor - Aviation Electronics Technician in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at US Navy as a contractor (More than 5 years)

Pros

Get paid good money to see the world, make lifelong friends, and to learn how to do real work!

Cons

If you don't like what you do, tough!

Advice to Management

Treat junior personell like they're smarter than you, because they probably are.

Other Employee Reviews for US Navy

1. "Upper management needs restructuring..."

Current Employee - Nuclear Engineer in Bangor, WA
    Current Employee - Nuclear Engineer in Bangor, WA

I have been working at US Navy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The best part about my job, which was as a nuclear trained electrician onboard a submarine, was the people that I worked with. There were many different backgrounds, but for the most part everyone got along. You were able to be yourself around your coworkers.

Cons

Where do I start: The motto of the Navy is hurry up and wait. Night work meetings happen at 3PM and no work ever comes out of it, but people still have to stay well past 4 when it gets out in order to let them go. As leading petty officer, I just took the blame and let them out.

Duty days. No one ever tells you about duty days at the recruiting office. Probably for good reason. their quota would go way down.

Vacation time. Getting chits approved is the biggest mess. I almost got my vacation chit not approved for my own WEDDING (she's now my ex-wife, so it probably wouldn't have been a bad idea). That needs to get revamped.

Officers. The Junior officers are clueless at first, and need help from the enlisted personnel. Yet Department Heads feel like they need to be the foremost authority in everything. Never happens. Stuff gets lost in translation because they are not specialized in your area. Oh, and department heads are, in my opinion, arrogant, self-serving boy scouts that spend too much time writing up worthless training schedules and guidelines and no time actually in their space checking on equipment status, morale, overall behavior of their personnel, etc. You name it, they aren't doing it. Btw, I am speaking as a nuke. Can't say much about other areas.

There are a laundry list of things that I could go on about, but I hate ranting.

Advice to Management

Give incentive to GOOD officers to stay in, rather than just scraping the bottom of the barrel for those that don't deserve it.

2. "A brief overview of the Navy as a SWO"

Former Employee - Surface Warfare Officer in Annapolis, MD
    Former Employee - Surface Warfare Officer in Annapolis, MD

I worked at US Navy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay, medical/dental benefits, and job security can't be beat. As a 27 y/o O-3 stationed in Yokosuka, Japan I was making a comfortable six figures with little fear of losing my job.

Cons

The deployment tempo is insane, and, from what I've been told, only getting worse. While the pay schedule quickly ramps up your first few years, it seems to hit a wall at around the 8-10 year mark. Also, many of my peers didn't seem to be particularly bright or motivated.

Advice to Management

Scale back on the deployment schedule, cut some of those 'land crab' billets (HR!) and open up some more shore duty opportunities. Something also needs to be done about the petty tyrants running around at the O-6 level.