US Postal Service - USPS a good place to work but it has it's issues, like any other place. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for US Postal Service

"USPS a good place to work but it has it's issues, like any other place."

Current Employee - Postmaster in Worcester, MA
Current Employee - Postmaster in Worcester, MA

Pros

There is very good job security. There is very good opportunity for advancement for those wishing to advance their carriers. The USPS promotes from within.

Cons

There is allot of bureaucracy and allot of micro-management. The USPS being a semi government agency really hurts its ability to take the necessary cost cutting measures in bad economic times like we are in now, for example if the USPS wants to shut down a small Post Office, located in the same town as two other post offices, which makes no money, some congressman can interfere and stop the closure. The same congress that said the USPS cant shut down a small PO will then demand that the USPS do everything possible to cut costs. The publics perception that the USPS is wasting taxpayer money is totally incorrect as well, the USPS receives no taxpayer money for regular operations.

Advice to Management

There are too many layers of management, I do not see a need for both a district level and area level. The result of what I consider to be an extra level is that the area level micro manages the district level and it all starts to flow down hill, causing useless reports and time wasting programs that the area level feels are a good idea because they are too far removed from daily operations and can't see the impact on the front lines.

Other Employee Reviews for US Postal Service

"U.S. Postal Service, trying to implement perfect principles into an imperfect system"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

Pros

Salaries and benefits are comparible to other professionals in the job market without having a higher education. Also, the opportunity for upper mobility and promotion is right at your fingertips if you are willing to take the time to go after it. These are some of the reasons why business professional with college degrees find themselves seeking job opportunities within the organization.

Cons

Some of the ways things are done. Senior management knowing that there are glitches in several of our programs within our systems, yet they are willing to issue disciplinary or corrective action to an employee without just cause.

Advice to Management

To ensure promotion is based on work performance, integrity and commitment to the organization and not based on "who you know". Ensure there is equal opportunity across the board.

"Going Postal, up or down?"

Current Employee - Rural Carrier
    Current Employee - Rural Carrier

Pros

Decent money, good vacation time. Decent health insurance. Sick leave. You can get a job by taking the test and scoring high. You don't need a degree and you can earn more than a lot of people that have degrees.

Cons

Long hours. Unfair treatment. Favoritism. You have to overlook a lot of crap. The rules are interpreted to suit the ossaision. Rural carriers get paid by salary, no matter how long the workday can be, the pay remains the same. You will have to do a lot of physical labor every day. The general public thinks this is not possible and that we are overpaid to ride around in cars all day and just stick mail in boxes. We do all our own sorting and loading. Some of us have to provide and maintain our own vehicles. Customers think they have the right to disrespect us. They are quick to complain if we make a mistake, yet we might fix a lot of their mistakes in a days work and they won't ever know about it.

Advice to Management

Try to be more human. Don't be afraid to get your hands dirty.