US Postal Service - Unconventional | Glassdoor

"Unconventional"

Current Contractor - Postal Support Employee in Lexington-Fayette, KY
Current Contractor - Postal Support Employee in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I have been working at US Postal Service as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

-Hours are available if you are willing to learn and travel to other offices
-Great coworkers
-Good pay rate for the level of education necessary
-If you're not lazy and value physical fitness, you will enjoy this job

Cons

-Hard to move up or make regular employee as a clerk (but it is possible.)
-Work life balance is nonexistent (It was difficult to sleep eight hours a night with the rotating shifts, and planning anything more than a week in advance is impossible)
-Upper management comes down hard on middle management to cut hours and avoid overtime whenever possible. Sometimes the work just doesn't get done and piles up.

Advice to Management

Caring more about work-life balance might make people less likely to call in, and having the right number of people and doing the job right the first time would mean not having a mountain of work to do later.

Other Employee Reviews for US Postal Service

1. "pse"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at US Postal Service as a contractor

Pros

good benefit if you have worked there for a long time

Cons

management does not pay much attention to workers

"USPS Postal Service Rural Carrier Associate"

Former Employee - Rural Carrier Associate in Stillwater, MN
    Former Employee - Rural Carrier Associate in Stillwater, MN

I worked at US Postal Service part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fast paced, never a dull moment, satisfaction comes from knowing you are serving your community by delivering their mail in a timely and efficient manner.

Cons

I was set up for failure by a postmaster who started me, part time, on the biggest rural route in the office, over 260 mail boxes per day (at 2 minutes per box, that is over 8 hours just to deliver, not to mention the time it took to sort, case and prepare for delivery). i was only Paid for 8 hours, but had to work 12 hour days without the opportunity to stop for lunch or even a break. They Let me work until my one year "probation" period was almost up, then the postmaster foolishly let it slip that I probably wouldn't be hired because I wasn't quick enough. I decided then and there to quit, since I have never been terminated from a job in my life, and the USPS wasn't going to be the first! I was REALLY disappointed, because I loved the job in every way, accept the amount of mail boxes I was forced to deliver to each day was inhumane and unreasonable. My route should have been half of what it was, and even then, it would have been difficult to complete within an 8 hour work day. I had heard from several co-workers that this Postmaster had hired several other new part-time carriers before me for the same route, and terminated every one before they completed their one year probation period. This would eliminate the need to actually hire us and give us access to Union protection and to employee benefits. This postmaster had a history of letting new hires work for almost a year, and then hire someone new to replace them. I love the USPS, loved my job there, but think there is lots of room for improvement in the upper management. I really wanted to have a career with the USPS, and was sorry I was left with no choice but to quit.

Advice to Management

Don't hire people temporarily and set them up for failure by giving them the largest & hardest route in the office, the route that nobody wants because it is basically impossible to complete in 11-12 hours. Be reasonable with the amount of boxes carriers are expected to deliver to, and divide those large routes to two or even three carriers. Hiring people like myself and using them for a year with the knowledge you have no intention of keeping them, to keep your costs down, is despicable and not befitting the proud dignity and history of the USPS.