US Secret Service - Interesting law enforcement job, see the world, long hours, very tough on family life | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

There are newer employer reviews for US Secret Service

"Interesting law enforcement job, see the world, long hours, very tough on family life"

Former Employee - Special Agent in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Special Agent in San Francisco, CA

I worked at US Secret Service full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Everyday is different and the travel can be interesting. You go to places you would otherwise never see on vacation. The criminal cases are complex can be challenging.

Cons

High divorce rate. The travel and long hours are hard on your family.

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees or the good ones will move on...

Other Employee Reviews for US Secret Service

"Good place to work but dealing with problems"

Current Employee - Assistant Special Agent In Charge in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Assistant Special Agent In Charge in Washington, DC

Pros

The United States Secret Service has a strong dual mission of protecting world leaders and safeguarding the US financial system against counterfeit currency. Everything they do is geared towards accomplishing the job at hand. The people are first class in their dedication to their job. I am proud to say I work for the Secret Service and to be associated with these people.

Another plus to working for the Secret Service is the opportunity to travel around the country and the world. The protective mission of the Secret Service offers the opportunity to see the world on the government's dime.

Cons

The Secret Service is going through a difficult time right now with several lawsuits files by black agents who did not feel they were promoted fairly against other white agents. The whole promotion based system for agents is not on the level and it really focuses on who you know within the agency.The lawsuits have overshadowed the fine work of many people people.

There is also a tendency within the department to not deal with personnel issues. This is also a drain on morale as the people who do perform often have to make up the slack for those who do not.

Advice to Management

Do the right thing and address the problems head on.

"Life Changing Experience"

Former Employee - Stay-In School Clerk
    Former Employee - Stay-In School Clerk

I worked at US Secret Service part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I was an intern at a University in the Southern part of the United States and had the opportunity to work as a "Stay-in-School Clerk". I processed counterfeit currency from local banks, processed all incoming and outgoing mail, transcribed Agent's interviews from Angola Prison where inmates had threatened the President's life, and other office duties. I highly recommend this job to college students. It was a life changing experience for me and some of the Agents are still my closest friends today.

Cons

When I finished my program I was offered a job as an agent but unfortunately I did not feel I was capable of taking an oath of "taking a bullet" for any President that may be elected to office.

Advice to Management

The U.S. Secret Service has a very Military feel to it. I personally liked working in that environment because I like structure but I can see where it could bother some people. My advice to Management is keep up the good work!