USAA - Good and Bad, but more good | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for USAA

"Good and Bad, but more good"

Current Employee - Compliance in San Antonio, TX
Current Employee - Compliance in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at USAA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company's mission of serving military personnel and their families is admirable and carried out very well by the senior leadership team. The company really cares about their employees and provides great benefits to maintain a low employee turnover. Annual Bonus, Christmas Bonus, far more paid vacation days than almost any Fortune 500 company; 8% 401K match, gyms at work, events for employees...the list goes on and on. Providing you work in a support role (IT, Compliance, Mgmt) the compensation is pretty darn good. Also, they are becoming stronger advocates for working from home and believe in work/life balance.

Cons

The amazing benefits and perks is a double edge sword as management can be very tenured at USAA and thus might not have outside experience in their particular industry/field to bring new/fresh ideas to their area; i.e. "We have always done it this way, so why change things". It can be difficult to instill change in a department if your not already a manager or at a senior level because mgmt might not listen to you. .

Advice to Management

Hire more managers from the outside who bring in new fresh ideas.

Other Employee Reviews for USAA

"Great customer service, tough employer."

Current Employee - Member Relationship Specialist III in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Member Relationship Specialist III in Tampa, FL

I have been working at USAA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Health insurance, matching retirement, educational assistance, paid time off.

Cons

Head-set fatigue, sitting for long hours, tethered to a cubicle, not allowed to think outside of the box, treated like a child, account for every minute, scripted phone calls, observed and analyzed, low pay, must meet referral criteria. This is from an employee who meets company expectations. Personally I hate it. If you can hang in there and be a robot for a few years, I hear it gets a better. Some employees have been there for 10-20 years. I don't get it.

Advice to Management

Find a way to be #1 in customer service while treating employees like adults, not robots.

"Pretty easy job with great hours"

Current Employee - Mortgage Origination Specialist in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Mortgage Origination Specialist in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at USAA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The 401k match is amazing at 8%. They give you an extra check in December to help with Christmas and they give you an Annual bonus depending on how well the company performs. Last year it was 18% of your annual salary!! In mortgage we pretty much have bankers hours. If you work the later shift you will be there until 8 but it's a monday-friday job.

Cons

The training seems to lack quite a bit. You don't feel 100% prepared for your job when they put you on the phones. I know this is common for call center jobs but here it's extremely difficult. Other than not feeling prepared the job is great

Advice to Management

Fix the training program. Give us more hands on training not Web Based Training.