USAA - Love this company; Dislike the politics | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for USAA

"Love this company; Dislike the politics"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at USAA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great customers, great employees, great business model. The benefits are absolutely world-class and the total compensation package cannot be beat - especially in the San Antonio market. Dedication to the men and women of the military is real!

Cons

The good old boy network is alive and kicking. Tough place for women to make a mark.

Other Employee Reviews for USAA

"Great place to work with great company culture"

Former Intern - IT Intern in San Antonio, TX
    Former Intern - IT Intern in San Antonio, TX

I worked at USAA as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great employee culture.
    Customers really come first.
    I loved the management staff.
    Even though I was only an intern, they treated me as full time in terms of responsibility.

Cons

I personally am not a fan of San Antonio, and currently, their only IT location is there. That's the only thing I can think of. Overall, it was a very rewarding experience to work there.

"Great if you like cliques and never get sick..."

Former Employee - Casualty Claims Adjuster in Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Casualty Claims Adjuster in Norfolk, VA

I worked at USAA full-time

Pros

great benefits, nice year end bonus, competitive salary, some good teammates.

Cons

workload is unreasonable, client military rank often determining factor in final liability - regardless of what the investigation reveals. If you EVER have to use FMLA, you might as well put a target on your back, you will be micro managed and will be terminated for not maintaining the job objectives, which everyone is behind including managers.
    This is a call center. you are given new assignments daily, but also have to answer general inbound calls and if it is a new loss, you will have to take that claim on as well. Managers have their favorites and most of the time these individuals are the weakest link.
    Pride tributes from your teammates often serve to get you in trouble, so don't help your fellow adjuster.

Advice to Management

Micro management is counter productive. Back up your adjuster's liability decision based on facts and ethical procedures. Hold yourself to the same standard you expect for your team. Please get a better first notice of loss process, the current one is ill effective. Leads to frustrated clients and adjusters.