USAA - Opportunity to grow as leaders while serving those who have served. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for USAA

"Opportunity to grow as leaders while serving those who have served."

Current Employee - Product Management in San Antonio, TX
Current Employee - Product Management in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at USAA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Mission based management
Great pay
Good benefit
Education benefits

Cons

Most non-call center jobs only in San Antonio

Other Employee Reviews for USAA

"Good"

Current Employee - Wealth Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Wealth Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at USAA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great co workers to work with

Cons

Strict envoirnment, not much flexibility

Advice to Management

Loose up a little and don't treat everybody like they are in the military.

"USAA Policy Service Advisor jobs - 2004"

Former Employee - Policy Service Advisor in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Policy Service Advisor in Sacramento, CA

I worked at USAA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

• Company has outstanding benefits for its Employees
    • Flexable work schedules (if you can get them) are very nice
    • Campus is very, very nice and well kept
    • On-site child care (Sacramento office, now closed)
    • On-site gym/workout area

Cons

Being a Policy Service Advisor is probably the worst job you can have at USAA. At the Sacramento office specifically, you were not there to “support” the Customer as much as you were there to try and upsell a bunch of crap bolt-on services that were 90% of the time not even relevant to the call.

“I’m sorry to hear that you’re having problems paying your insurance bill this month, but could I interest you in a Personal Article Floater policy?” What a crock!

You are expected to PUSH so many services and products, answer so many calls a day, and key so many pieces of mail. Break times and lunch times were constantly shifting, there was no consistency or flexibility and you could only take a 35 min. lunch. If you were sick or needed time off that was not planed several weeks into the future (life happens), it was considered an occurrence and you were dinged for it. Your calls were monitored and you were always reminded of what you were doing wrong. And good luck moving into another job, you were STUCK in Policy Service for life!

I went to this company because I had heard how great they were…but several people at USAA told me that things had been changing over the last 4 – 5 years and I should get out now…which I did. When USAA announced they were selling their Sacramento buildings, I decided to bail. About 1 year after I got out, they closed the campus in Sacramento and shipped all the jobs to other offices.

Advice to Management

Honesty goes a long way and I was mislead by management from my first interview. Everything from the job to the company was puffed and misrepresented to me. Be honest with your new hires and tell them the truth, this is an inbound call center and there are sales and marketing expectations that your job performance depends on. You do not get commissions for your sales and we are going to pay you a very, very low salary (under 30k) while expecting you to perform as though you are making $50k+ a year.