USAA - Relationship Specialist | Glassdoor

"Relationship Specialist"

Current Employee - Senior Financial Foundation Specialist in San Antonio, TX
Current Employee - Senior Financial Foundation Specialist in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at USAA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great medical and retirement benefits. Also get Christmas bonus and in February another bonus. Last year we got 18.8% of our salary.

Cons

10 hour shifts can be way too long on the phones. Make no mistake, this is absolutely a call center. So be prepared for back to back calls some day. Don't get me wrong, I love it here but you have to really work hard to be EE and noticed. When you do this then you can move around within the company. My advise, always challenge yourself to do your best then get the heck out of policy services after a year or two. I've been at 3 different departments in less than 3 years at USAA. I do this so Im continuously challenged.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and empower them to be great and help promote. Always be honest and let them know constantly and consistently how they are doing..show them their numbers.

Other Employee Reviews for USAA

"OK if you have no other opportunities"

Former Employee - Financial Advisor III
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor III

I worked at USAA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The co-workers and management team in my area were amazing, 40 hr work week, 18.8% performance bonus in '13 (and last several years) plus extra paycheck in December, this makes up for the low salaries, paid OT, 8% 401k match, great benefits, great training, any job off of the phones would be great.

Cons

This is a call center job, you will be tied to your desk, can't eat lunch or take breaks with friends, this is not a career - it is a job, highly sales oriented atmosphere, performance review is ultimately subject to your sales performance, other departments will cold drop members to you who have no idea why they are talking to you or believe that you will simply update their address or finish the "second part of the call", it will be up to you to open the call and try to make a sale, no clear upward mobility progression structure, as a new hire you will be working Saturdays for at least the first year or two, you will not be able to get off any decent holidays for at least the first 2 yrs, high stress and high pressure. Ultimately this is a job with a steady paycheck but if you have any other opportunities that are not in a call center, take it and forget about this job. I left for a better opportunity and am so happy I did.

Advice to Management

Lower to Middle management: Keep doing what you are doing, I believe you are doing all you can with the limited resources available to you and you do a great job showing employees that you care.

Senior management: Stop pushing the referrals so hard, it is sad to see that in every other department, reps' performance reviews are solely based on referrals (Even if that's not what it says on paper). This is creating a poor experience for our members and makes USAA look like they don't know what they are doing when a member is being told they are being transferred for a reason that a financial advisor absolutely cannot address.

2. "Great company to work for; good benefits"

Former Employee - Mortgage Specialist in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Mortgage Specialist in San Antonio, TX

I worked at USAA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most managers care about their people; tuition assistance; company matches 8% of employee contributions to retirement

Cons

Call center fast paced and demanding

Advice to Management

Be willing to move people to positions they are better suited for.