USAA - Good, family friendly company. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for USAA

"Good, family friendly company."

Current Employee - Software Developer & Integrator I in San Antonio, TX
Current Employee - Software Developer & Integrator I in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at USAA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits
Good bonus
On site clinics
On site gyms, sports and recreational facilities
Open and friendly management
Big employee community
Good coaching, mentoring, and training opportunities

Cons

Slow in pay increase
Below industry avg base salary
Emphasis on soft skills over technical skills sometimes create many talk only employees
Overly dependent on third-party employees

Advice to Management

Put more emphasis on and reward good technical skills. Good technical resource will leave the company if they don't feel valued or they feel they are not recognized just because they are not good talkers.

Other Employee Reviews for USAA

"Stressed but I got out!!"

Former Employee - Auto Adjuster in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Auto Adjuster in San Antonio, TX

I worked at USAA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Health benefits are great as well as compensation/bonuses/employee education credit card.

Cons

The claims department is understaffed. Phones are constantly ringing which does not leave you with time to properly handle a claim and make a liability decision. Referrals have become a major factor, the member does not want to talk about new products and services when he has just had an accident. Granted there may be few referrals that may be appropriate but usually they are not.

Advice to Management

Please treat us as the adults that we are., Be more open minded when an employee had a valid complaint.

"Specialized Member Service Investment Representative"

Current Employee - Specialized Member Services Representative in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at USAA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company has excellent values, compensation is excellent, training is thorough.

Cons

The area of the company I work for hires very young individuals for middle management who were very good at their jobs when working in the trenches; however, the lack of knowledge and experience in leading is obvious. Too much focus on referrals, not enough focus on the member's needs. USAA is known for it excellent customer service; however, it is moving more toward sales. Sales is important; however, if a customer receives excellent customer service, the sale will come. Due to the fact the company is a call center, the schedule is very ridged and inflexible.

Advice to Management

Return to what USAA used to be; make sure the service is number one.